Tarpon

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

neckmoe

Tarpon

Post by neckmoe »

Anyone seeing any tarpon? Heard a few reports of them down in Port St Joe. Would appreciate any tips on catching these beasts. Thinking of taking the kayaks down there this weekend. Hooking into one of those beasts would be insane in a yak.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: Tarpon

Post by woopty »

I've seen tarpon the last three trips in the area. They should be thick now.
Any where from the Ochlochnee to Lanark is good.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Thanks for the update Woopty. I just heard from another buddy of mine that he saw one East of St Marks this past Saturday. My guess is he was lost and trying to get away from the scallopers :)
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

saw about 4 schools, probably 25 total fish east of st. Marks last weekend. They're definitely here. Everyone I've ever hooked have been on topwaters (probably 6-8 total), but I believe floating livies is probably the most productive approach.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I had one hit a pinfish two weeks ago in front of the Ecky. It was a very short lived experience.
FF
skitterwalk

Post by skitterwalk »

I have been seeing then by the hundreds all the way down to SGI rolling. Hooked up on topwater yesterday and today but didn't land either. Plug fishing for em is definetly more of a challange then anchoring up with a pinfish but fun none the less. Look for em rolling in the Am....and as for equiptment. Extra heavy everything!
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

We saw several out near the stacks line at St Marks last Sunday in about 8 ft of water. They were active early between 8 and 10. Several broke water next to our boat and scared the living..... out of me once. We threw out a pin fish under a popping cork and had one hit it an missed. Low and behold, and nice trout came behind him and took the bait. That was only one of three keeper trout we managed to boat in five hours of fishing. I don't know if the trout have moved out of ST Marks or it is just the start of the Dog Days of Summer Fishing. I hope you find them.
wakullagator

Post by wakullagator »

my mom jumped one sunday at wakulla beach
Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Post by Scott7138 »

Buddy of mine had a 150 yd blast on one this last weekend in West Bay PC. All of about 30 sec. and the ride was over.
"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life" - Dean Wormer - Animal House
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

They are all in the mouth of the "O" river, from the old Brothers 3 landing out "especially around Shell Hammock" :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TheWhaler15

Post by TheWhaler15 »

Reel Addiction wrote:We saw several out near the stacks line at St Marks last Sunday in about 8 ft of water. They were active early between 8 and 10. Several broke water next to our boat and scared the living..... out of me once. We threw out a pin fish under a popping cork and had one hit it an missed. Low and behold, and nice trout came behind him and took the bait. That was only one of three keeper trout we managed to boat in five hours of fishing. I don't know if the trout have moved out of ST Marks or it is just the start of the Dog Days of Summer Fishing. I hope you find them.
Where's the stacks line?
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

wevans wrote:They are all in the mouth of the "O" river, from the old Brothers 3 landing out "especially around Shell Hammock" :thumbup: :beer:
By "O" I'm guessing you mean the Ochlocknee? Never heard of Brothers 3 landing or Shell Hammock.
LuckySOB
Site Sponsor

Post by LuckySOB »

Had a 100# one on for an hour and a half Monday fishing with pinfish for trout. Definatley not prepared for a poon on the other end with the 10 pound line. Finally broke off after all that. We were up in close at keaton in 2.5 ft of water.
No matter what, it's a good day.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Shell Hammock is on the bottom left and the old Brothers Three landing is on the top left :beer:

PS: Click on the magnifier in the top left of the pic to make it larger.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
TheWhaler15

Post by TheWhaler15 »

I really wanna try and target some Tarpon. I have a heavy spinning set up just for 'em. Anyone seen them at Palmetto Island out at St. Marks? Or around the bridges at SGI?