favorite topwater lures??

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Re: favorite topwater lures??

Post by flatsbroke »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
flatsbroke wrote:Thanks. 7M.very informative info. Gonna order several lures this weekend and I'll keep you guys posted on how well all the good advice is paying off.
Instead of ordering them, go see either Heath at South Georgia Outdoors in Cairo or Linn at Kevin's in Tallahassee. Both are site and NFGFC sponsors, very knowledgeable and have a better selection for our waters than you'll find anywhere. There's no telling what else you'll find that you didn't even know you needed.
Thanks guys,each of you were very helpful,I did manage to p/u a cpl from Chad @ gone fishin' in Tville and several from Linn @ Kevin's last night while in Tally,Thanks Linn for all the help and rigging up the new lures w/ good hooks,you the man.It is about time to swing by and see Heath and the guys,bought a rifle there years ago and they're always helpful.See y'all on the water soon!!
Flatsbroke
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A TOP WATER PLUG FISHERMAN, THE TINY TORPEDO, SPOOK, YOZURI MINNOW, DALTON SPECIAL, SKITTERWALK, TOP DOG, BABY DOG,ALL OF THE MIRROLURE TOP WATER PLUGS. I HAVE SEVERAL OF EACH OF THESE IN BLUE BACK, SILVER OR REFLECTIVE SIDES AS WELL AS EACH OF THE ABOVE IN BONE AND WHITE WITH RED HEAD. ANOTHER PLUG I USE WHEN THE TOP WATER BITE IS OFF, IS THE 52M 24 MIRROLURE SLOW SINKER IN BLUE BACK SILVER SIDES. MAIN THING TO DO IN THIS HOT WEATHER IS SLOW, SLOW . SLOW, WORKING OF THE PLUGS. I CAST, AS SOON AS THE PLUGS HITS THE WATER I POP IT 3-4 TIMES REALLY QUICK, THEN LET THE PLUG SIT THERE TO THE TEN COUNT AND THEN JUST SPLASH IT A LITTLE, NOT HARD, LET IT SIT TO THE COUNT OF 10 AND CONTINUE TO DO THIS BACK TO THE BOAT. HAVEN'T BEEN DOWN THIS SUMMER DUE TO THE HEAT, AT MY AGE, THE DOC DOSEN'T LET ME GET OUT IN THAT HEAT. IT IS JUST TOO FAR TO DRIVE JUST TO FISH FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. WHEN THE WEATHER COOLS DOWN YOU CAN BET I WILL BE OUT THERE CASTING TO ALL THE FISHES.
HOPE THIS WILL HELP YA OUT, THE OTHER SUGGESTION MENTIONED HERE ARE ALSO GOOD, ESPECIALLY THE CHUG BUG PLUGS.
GOOD FISHING AND KEEP A TIGHT LINE.
PA, THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Just keep at it, like everybody said, the bites are ususally fewer but you get bigger fish on top. Nobody mentioned the ratt'lin redfin 4'' in gold/black back or silver with blue back, but they can be awesome lures as well. It's a lot like topwater bass fish'in, just have lots of patience.
Yours in the South
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Had good luck with skitterwalks in gold, juvie speck and redfish, and bone. Largest trout I've ever hooked was on a juvie speck skitterwalk. I don't know how big it would have gone, but it gave me one good head shake and that yellow mouth will haunt me forever-looked larger than the mouth of an 8lb bass. Best advice I can give: Don't use a leader when throwing topwater. At least not if the leader is weaker than the main line (In my case 20# Fluoro on 30# braid.)
derf

Post by derf »

Topwaters are my favorite sticks to throw. I've had birds swoop down and take my badonkadonk while walken the dog. If it can fool them.......
It takes a while to get a strike but when you do it sends your heart through your throat.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

wow.... i havent posted in a while!

i love the advice on this thread and id like to throw some in too!

i have found... esp. this summer.... that when the waters hot a chug bug is really hard to beat. i believe this is beacause you can work it as a popper OR walk it... and that gives you the option of slowing it down without sacrificing the action. also.... dont be afraid to throw the BIG chug bug... the 6 or 7 in one. i have done very well on that this year around sand and oysters in the lighthouse/ wakulla beach area.

for walking lures i really like skitterwalks. they just seem to walk the easiest... those and spooks.
im glad someone (everyone but me...) is catching fish on the badonkadonk. im just not a fan of them i guess.

like everyone else said though its about confidence and patience. ill throw a topwater from daybreak to noon....no matter what my partner is catching them on. i just enjoy the topwater bite and the actual action of working the bait. but then im a bass fisherman in my "off" time so.......lol.
derf

Post by derf »

The smaller badonkadonks are really hard to walk consistently as oppossed to the larger ones. The action is very fast and you have to be on the look out for it to work when you through it far. The storm chug bugs have awsome action and are very easy to walk, even from a distance. I have not cought alot on it but that is because of the many other lures in my box. I am trying to get to that one. That may sound strange but i like to commit to a lure for a day to really see if it is good or not. The mirror lure she dog is awsome. I have caught alot of bass on that gal.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

For true works of art that definitely catch fish, the wooden, hand-turned Hall 'em In Lures are the pinnacle. They're made by a family company in the good old US of A, not China. I like the Boca or B-29 for topwater and the Ripper for just below the surface. The classic white with redhead, black/silver and chartreuse/white are my favorites.

Yeah, yeah, I know they're a little more expensive than some of the plastic varieties. But they'll last 5 times as long and they have quality, extra-durable hardware. And they float, so I've been able to retrieve the one I had cut off by a bluefish.

www.halleminlures.com

BocaBite.png
BocaBite.png (39.03 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
B29-01.png
B29-01.png (41.66 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
derf

Post by derf »

sking..........do they walk? Or do you jerk them or??
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The B-29 and Boca Bite are both walker-style lures. Slow, short twitches with the rod tip down.

The Ripper is a darter just below the surface. Very effective for reds and gator trout.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

If you fish enough you'll learn what works sometimes and what never works. You will eventually discover which lure usually works and you'll use it more.
Then thats the one you'll recomend. If you bought every lure that is suggested you'd run out of money.
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
sosprey

Post by sosprey »

Just my $0.02 - I like to fish topwater 'cuz when I'm in the creeks and workin' diffrent water depths (0' - 6') and handling the trolling motor I can let the lure rest while "on maneuvers" and stay out of the bottom structure. Also, like a bass fisherman I can have a good day on the water making skillful casts to visible structure even if the bite ain't great. Since I'm not out to feed a family and I can only keep 1 redfish I prefer to wait for the BIG BITE!
Cheer up, it gets worse...I did, and it did!!