Lionfish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Lionfish?

Post by Fighting Conch »

Has anyone heard of Lionfish here in Big Bend waters? They are spreading in the Florida Keys, known for nasty venomous tentacles and gulping down small fish and mollusks.

http://www.keysnet.com/2011/08/05/36546 ... afood.html
fishinfrenzi15

Re: Lionfish?

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

Heard of them, but not around here. They are an invasive species to the Southern East Coast and Caribbean, but have not made it into our area.
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

They have been spotted offshore from P'cola, think that's the closest.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

That have been sighted and are established in our waters. Here is a map of the sightings.
lionfish.png
lionfish.png (88.92 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

We found one in Mexico Beach in 130'. The keys are eat up with them. One rock had over 10 on it. Off the coast of NC watch out they are everywhere.
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

They are quite popular in the marine aquarium trade and survive well in local temperatures. I imagine they would flourish around here with time. Having kept numerous lions over the years, I can attest that they are curious and not easily spooked. They love to hang out on rocky bottom. I wonder how many of these are from the aquarium trade. I read a while back that it is thought they came from a Miami aquarium that flooded during a hurricane. I suspect many more came from well intentioned hobbyists who thought releasing their fish that had otugrown their aquariums was better than killing them. Little did they know. I wonder if the Jack Rudloe Marine Lab has run into any on their local collection trips?
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"