Alligator Point in September

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AUTiger

Alligator Point in September

Post by AUTiger »

My family and I are going to be at Alligator Point Sept 17 - 24. I have 4 boys, 2 will be fishing seriously and my 4 year old will want just hold a rod. We do not have a boat so will be fishing from the beach or bay. We have never been to Alligator Point but have been to SGI a few times and had good luck on the beach and bay. Can anyone give any advice on where to fish and what to primarily target at this time? I have a cast net that I can throw for bait in the bay. I did this at SGI to catch finger mullet and pin fish. Please any advice would help.

Thanks
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Alligator Point in September

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

SINCE YOU HAVE NO BOAT, JUST WALK THE BEACH AND CAST PADDLE TAIL GRUBS ON 1/8 TH OZ RED HEAD JIGS, WORKEM FAST, IF NO RESULTS, WORKEM SLOW AND TRY DIFFERENT SPEEDS OF RETRIVE. YA MIGHT WANT TO WORK A TOP WATER PLUG EARLY IN THE MORNING AND RIGHT AT DARK IN THE EVENING, I WOULD USE A SKITTERWALK BLUE WITH SILVER SIDES, THROW IT OUT AND LET IT SET SEVERAL SECONDS THEN JUST TWITCH IT A COUPLE SHORT JERKS, LET IT SIT AND REPEAT THIS PROCESS TILL YOU GET IT BACK IN, BE CAREFULL THE LAST 10 FT. , MANY TIMES THEY WILL FOLLOW THE PLUG AND THEN SEE YOU, THEY THEY WILL HIT REAL HARD AND TRY TO GET AWAY. BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR DRAG SET SO YOU WILL NOT BREAK OFF ANY GOOD SIZE FISH.
HOPE THIS HELPS
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
bman

Post by bman »

Surf fishing at AGP is hit or miss.. you will have some fun with cut bait and shrimp on the bottom but expect a lot of cats and sharks.
The bay side is great for trout and reds around the docks. near the old ramp at the marina can be good for flounder and reds.

Try top water from the beach early- spanish should still be around.

A kayak would open up the bars at the back of the bay- Reds and Flounder there
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I agree with Bman, cut bait will give you loads of fun. You will get sharks, cats, sailcats, and stingrays. The rays will give you one heck of a fight. Just be careful on the unhooking. I flip them over on their backs, and hold the tail down to unhook. I have even hooked the occasional Sea Turtle there.

Everything goes back into the gulf quickly.

As for catching my food there, Hey, MyWay and Mineral Springs has plenty of fresh raw seafood and Angelos and Coastal is right up the road!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Dubble Trubble wrote:I agree with Bman, cut bait will give you loads of fun. You will get sharks, cats, sailcats, and stingrays. The rays will give you one heck of a fight. Just be careful on the unhooking. I flip them over on their backs, and hold the tail down to unhook. I have even hooked the occasional Sea Turtle there.

Everything goes back into the gulf quickly.

As for catching my food there, Hey, MyWay and Mineral Springs has plenty of fresh raw seafood and Angelos and Coastal is right up the road!

Dubble :thumbup:
PS: I only fish on the gulf side. That is where our place is.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
AUTiger

Post by AUTiger »

I may possibly rent a kayak or canoe for the week (sept 17-24) while in Alligator Point. Anyone have any tips on where to put in and where to go? You can email me if you do not want to post.

Thanks
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

AUTiger wrote:I may possibly rent a kayak or canoe for the week (sept 17-24) while in Alligator Point. Anyone have any tips on where to put in and where to go? You can email me if you do not want to post.

Thanks
There's a ramp on the point that will give you access to the docks, a ramp at the end of Surf & Sand Rd that will give you access to the bars in the back of the bay & Leonards Landing on 98 will give you access to the grass flat between there and Bay North/St Teresa.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

And Shields Marina in St. Marks (850-925-6158) rents canoes and kayaks very reasonably. They are about 30 miles to the east of AP.
AUTiger

Post by AUTiger »

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure my kids will have loads of fun catching fish on the beach.
AUTiger

Post by AUTiger »

Ok, so we are now at Alligator Point. We got here yesterday afternoon and my boys and I have fished ever since. We have caught about 25 catfish and that is it. At first my boys loved it, but now they keep asking if there is anything else to catch. Thanks for the above advice from everyone. I am going to read back through the posts and see if I can make anything out of it, though if it doesn't mention road names, then I probably will not be able to find it. Though we have only caught catfish, they have caugt about 5 sail cats about 5 lbs. They loved bringing those in. If anyone has any more advice it will be greatly appreciated. Again, we will be fishing bay and shore line and are willing to wade. I have my cast net so can catch bait if that is the way to go.

Thanks
sosprey

Post by sosprey »

Consider booking a charter or rent a skiff in St. Marks. Check the resources in the forum and chat with the folks at Shell Island or Shields.
Cheer up, it gets worse...I did, and it did!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

A good place to wade is bald point. It is close to where you are and may provide better fish. I've never been there on foot so can't tell you exactly how to get to the spot, but maybe someone here will be able to help. Lots of oyster bars that may hold reds, flounder and trout. You may also try wading around Leonards landing. On 98 across the harbor. Sun and sand road is a good place to launch a yak. If you are fishing near docks, work the pilings with a finger mullet on the bottom. I've picked some nice flounder back there. You should be able to get plenty of mullet with the castnet. I may be down there this weekend and could help out, but not sure yet. Keep us posted.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Check out this website and see what the feed times are, then if possible fish during those times. It should help increase your chance of catching better fish.

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

Just put in the zip code and then look through the days for the primary/secondary feed times.

Bald point is decent, better when you have a decent amount of water. You can fish off the pier or to the right of the pier you can wade. Just wear shoes to protect your feet from oysters or sting rays. Bald point address: 146 Box Cut Rd, Panacea, FL. Bald Point rd. and Alligator Drive Intersect, then just take Bald Point rd till it ends.

Best of luck.
tabb

Post by tabb »

We rented a cottage down there about 3 summers ago. There was a boat ramp near where we stayed( on the right) about 3/4 of a mile before you turn off to go to Bald point. It was in the middle of several houses and was public. Can't remember the name. Anyway that would be agood place to wade and fish the bay side. There was some guys in kayaks working the grass shore line and picking up some nice fish.

We also fished Bald point and caught a few fish down there and saw some reds caught off of the dock.

A good day trip is to ride back towards ST. Marks and take a canoe trip. The rental is right there on 98 can't miss it.