still smokin

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wetjet

still smokin

Post by wetjet »

my 2000 merc 60 HP began smoking a bit at idle - 10 hrs later it ran too rough to run. I switched out the plugs ( which looked like crap) but it still is smokin with a heavy blue smoke. I am thinking i need to change the fuel filter next thinking that maybe not getting enough fuel and oil injector is sending too much fuel mixing too rich?

anybody got any suggestions or had this happen

now it won't even run at idle - it will fire up and then studder out with heavy blue smoke the whole time

thanks for any suggestions

wetjet :cry: :cry: :cry:
GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

mine(03 merc 125) started doing that the other day while i was on the water :o & during clean up after i found a cracked gas line around the clamp where it goes into the bulb. fixed that it ran fine the next day. :D
"LIFE IS GOOD IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS"
wetjet

Post by wetjet »

i am thinking it is something with the fuel supply

i was checking some forums on outboards and some merc owners reported problems with a sticking check valve in the fuel line.

not sure how long i am going to monkey with it before i take it in

anyone know an honest merc mechanic?

wetjet

thanks for the reply
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Mike, take it to Gus, at "The Shop" just south of Orange Avenue, on Springhill Road. He knows more about a Merc than anyone else around.
What was I supposed to do today?
wetjet

Post by wetjet »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

finally got a call from my mechanic today - he figured out the problem and i quote:

"the problem is your engine runs on gasoline and u got diesel fuel in your tank"

ok i say - that would explain the latest problem but how do you explain the fact that it has been getting progressively worse over the past 4 months and he says and i quote:

"u have probably been puttin diesel fuel in the tank for 4 months"

"stop puttin diesel fuel in your tank and it will stop smokin"

- "u dumb azz" (implied)

now the last time i filled up i did it at the bp on thomasville road near the dunkin donut shop - i checked there today and surenuff there is a diesel handle right next to the 87 handle

i guess i could have put diesel fuel in there this past time but i do not normally fill up at that location so i am still a bit worried about the slow regression but according to my mechanic and i quote:

"your engine is runnin jest fine now and as long as you dont put no more diesel fuel in there - u are good to go cuz" " i even put in a free gallon of gas to get u goin"

no wonder everyone in wakulla county knows that everyone in tally is a dumb azz :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just folks from New Joisey. :-D :-D

Glad they got it working Mikey. Btw, rod repair worked great.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

wet... that's seems like goin a bit far to stretch them gas dollars isn't it?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Holy krap batman, deisel in the O/B.. :o :-?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Not nearly as bad as gas in a diesel.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

RodBow wrote:wet... that's seems like goin a bit far to stretch them gas dollars isn't it?
Apparently not far enough, since he was using highway diesel. To save money, he should have gone with off-road diesel.