Port St. Joe/Cape San Blas

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jjewell99

Port St. Joe/Cape San Blas

Post by jjewell99 »

I am from Kentucky but I love to inshore fish and have made several trips to the gulf coast over the last 12 years and i would like to know some opinions of Port St Joe and Cape San Blas. I am going to try to schedule my family vacation somewhere with a nice beach and some good fishing. I have fished from alligator point to Steinhatchee and had pretty good luck but I have never tried any fishing this far west. Has anyone done any inshore fishing in this area? The other place im looking at is Dauphin island in Al. Has anyone done any fishing in the Mobile Bay area? Last year we stayed on Alligator point and did really good fishing out of Panacea.

Thanks for all your help.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Port St. Joe/Cape San Blas

Post by SHOWBOAT »

SJB is like a real life Discovery Channel program. You'll love it if you go May-Oct. I've never fished AL.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have fished the Mobile Bay/DI area and it can be fantastic at times. Some trophy trout in the backwaters off the island and plenty of possibilities nearshore around some of the reefs/rigs. The water is generally silty in most places, however.

I'll second SB's endorsement of SJB. It's some of the prettiest water in the world and I say that after fishing all over the Bahamas, Belize and the Mexican Yucatan. Lots of possibilities there, plus scalloping for the kids if you go during the summer months.
denbar52

Post by denbar52 »

i can vouch for st joe/cape san blas. The fishing is good all year long. the snorkeling is great and a bonus is scallop season in July ,August, september. great fun and delish. i am heading down this weekend to my condo. we rent it , and it is with paradise Coast, Dunes Club 1B.

Bart Rice
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I would expect there are deals to be found on CSB through this site as Bart referenced.

I have posted my parents' place on this site mutliple times. Not sure if MD rents his. I've seen a gold Tundra in Barrier Dunes with a BBF sticker multiple times as well. Good luck.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

Where is most of the fishing done in this area? In St. Joe Bay or out in main gulf from the Cape?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Outside along the Cape can be good for pompano, reds, Spanish macks, but most fish in the bay itself (reds, trout, flounder, pompano, macks bluefish). Depends on the style and draft of your boat really and what you'd like to target. The shoreline and some back bays towards Mexico Beach are also productive.
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

Thanks for the info. I have never been to this area so I may try it out. I have a Mako 1801. I have never had any luck in just a bay. I had a bad fishing trip to the destin area once (in the bay) and just lost my confidence. I Guess I will just have to get out there and try it again.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Capt Ron wrote:Anytime you go to new water, it's a good idea (and money well spent) to fish with a guide one day. Be honest with them and they'll gladly give you enough information to insure a successful week.
Ron has an excellent point (and he is a great guide). There is super bay fishing inside, but the tides can get really low and you need to know where to go. A good aerial plus a chartplotter will be helpful.

Outside, along the beaches, or not far offshore, on a good day, there are plenty of other opportunities.

One of the coolest things you can do is to put in at one of the ramps and boat to the tip of the cape. Drop the kids and family there (or have them come fishing with you, set up a table and picnic on shore), work the shallows from the shore, and/or take the boat out to troll for macks, kings, big sharks in the deep holes, or cobia not far off (sometimes just a few yards away or troll the buoy line). On an incoming tide, the water is bahamas clear and you feel like you are in another world. Go a little inside and snorkel the shallow grass flats. It makes for a great time.

I would start with one day on a local boat and a guide.

EJ
jjewell99

Post by jjewell99 »

Capt Ron wrote:Anytime you go to new water, it's a good idea (and money well spent) to fish with a guide one day. Be honest with them and they'll gladly give you enough information to insure a successful week.
Thats probably true but I like to think with my maps, tide charts, and a little knowledge of fishing I can do it myself. Plus I did hire a guide one time when we went to Tybee island (savannah Ga) and was very disappointed.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

SJB is one of my favorite places to fish! Just look at a chart and fish the contours... Or Google Maps. If you have a droid or one of the newer smart phones you can actually pull up the google satellite maps while on the water! This is how I found where to fish in the bay, i found a contour then looked at the satellite photo and found grass beds near contours...
bman

Post by bman »

Cape San Blas is amazing... White sand beach, clear water... If you like Alligator Point you will love the Cape.
Its quiet like Alligator point. But your are a quick drive to Port St Joe with about everything you need.
Marina, Grocery store, Pharmacy and some good restaurants.
Or if you get rained out go the other way and visit Appalach for a day.

There is plenty of deep water fishing a short run from the ramp at the park and amazing flats fishing in the bay.
We go there or Mexico Beach every summer and are never disappointed.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Hey JJ, I moved to KY from Tallahassee about three years ago, but grew up in Panama City and Wewahitchka (close to Port St. Joe). I've fished all the places you are talking about. My favorite is Appalachee Bay out of Panacea but I agree with bman. Stay at Cape San Blas and fish SJB. It's the best of both worlds. St. Joe Bay is one of the best places to fish. Cape San Blas has some of the best beaches. Have a great time down there and tell everyone I said hello.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I bought on the Cape because of the fishing and Bay. Nowhere else like it in North Florida. I do rent my place: www.vrbo/62075 and through Coastal Joe Vacation rentals. Mine is in the same building as Denbar's. One of the closets places to stay to Presnell's on the beach.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!