Garmin problem/question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CW2008

Garmin problem/question

Post by CW2008 »

My Garmin GPS/bottom machine (I can't remember the model number now - it's 5 years old) turns off after a minute or two. I can turn it back on and all is OK. I assume it is a loose connection or corrosion, but I can't find it and I can't shake any of the connections and make it happen, it just happens at random. Has anyone else expeienced this? I am trying to find out if it is the wiring or the machine. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin problem/question

Post by reelhandy »

I had something similar going on with my Garmin 178c and it was in the connection at the unit. The female socket carrying the juice either got pushed in or it came that way, but regardless it wasn't making solid contact and the unit would go off on it's own randomly. The difference is that mine wouldn't always just come back on, and it didn't always turn off in a minute or 2. I ended up sticking a small piece of flattened soft electronics solder in the connection hole and that fixed it by extending the juice back out to where it made good contact with the pin.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

Just checked mine, it's a 178c also. Thanks for the reply, I'll look more closely at mine.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

how old is your battery? Electronics do weird things when they don't get sufficient juice.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

SHOWBOAT wrote:how old is your battery? Electronics do weird things when they don't get sufficient juice.
X2. Low voltage will snap a Garmin off like that. They are very voltage mindful.
Replace your battery or change to another one to see if that is your problem.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

Thanks again. Replacing battery today. I'll post after I get a chance to test this evening.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

Well I have a new battery but it didn't solve the problem. Must be a connection problem somewhere.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Check for a loose or corroded ground also. And don't assume that the one for the GPS can be the only one to cause a problem :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”