FWC adopts new seasons for gag grouper in Gulf

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

Getting better but not great... interesting that our area would get 3 months of spring grouper fishing and rest of the gulf would get 4 months in the fall??

News Release

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Media contact: Amanda Nalley, 850-410-4943

(Back to Commission meeting news)

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) voted Feb. 8 to change how gag grouper is managed in Gulf of Mexico state waters (excluding Monroe County).

The decision, which came during day two of the three-day February Commission meeting, will achieve consistency with federal management efforts while potentially providing a region-specific recreational season in four counties.

The FWC manages marine fish from the shore to nine nautical miles in the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council manages Gulf of Mexico waters farther than nine nautical miles out. The following changes will make state gag grouper management efforts the same as recent federal gag grouper management efforts in the Gulf of Mexico: setting the recreational open season from July 1 through Oct. 31 and lowering the minimum commercial size limit from 24 inches to 22 inches total length.

The Commission also authorized Chairman Kathy Barco and Executive Director Nick Wiley to issue an executive order opening gag grouper season in the state waters off Taylor, Jefferson, Wakulla and Franklin counties, including Apalachicola Bay and Indian Pass. This gag grouper recreational season, if implemented, will open harvest in state waters during April, May and June, and close harvest in those waters during the July-to-October season. These changes will better align fishing opportunity with fish availability.

“I think we have to be sensitive to the economic side and the natural resource side,” said Commissioner Charles W. Roberts III. “I don’t think there is anybody here, especially in this room, who would like to jeopardize gag grouper. This isn’t an easy decision. We have to rely on the data we have available and make good decisions.”

Gag grouper has been closed in Gulf of Mexico state waters since Nov. 16, 2011.

The FWC believes applying these management changes will allow gag grouper populations to rebuild quickly while balancing the needs of anglers.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Re: FWC adopts new seasons for gag grouper in Gulf

Post by groupertherapy »

We will have to wait on the Executive Order from FWC. The decision to make an exception to the season in state waters (not adopting the entire federal rule) may cause an adverse reaction from NOAA. Their reaction will determine how the order is written. 'Till then, don't plan on baiting up to go for state grouper in April.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I am sure the pricks in Washington are hot on the phone this morning saying "Why are you guys bucking the system"?

Political pressure from these useless morons will probably stop the opening of the season.

Meanwhile, the commercial fishing goes right on harvesting by the truckload.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
grouperfever

Post by grouperfever »

I certainly hope it is not the case, but I have to agree with the gentlemen above. As soon as the pressure is applied at the state level (funding cuts or fed. waters closures) they will balk. I can't help but think the FWC did this with no other intention than covering their rears. If it works they are heros. If it doesn't, they can say they did everything they could. Then again, at least they are trying. My fingers are crossed and hope we are soaking baits 4-1-2012. Until then I think I'm switching to the handle ajfever! See you men at the K-tower at daylight! I just died a little bit from that joke.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

We need to keep pinging the commission until they write that executive order. Then it's on to getting the red snapper rules changed.
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

As usual I am confused.

If this passes, does this mean we can fish for Grouper in State Waters but not Federal waters during April, May and June and we can fish for Grouper in Federal wters but not State waters during July, August, September and October?
You just can't fix stupid.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

PinFishKing wrote:As usual I am confused.

If this passes, does this mean we can fish for Grouper in State Waters but not Federal waters during April, May and June and we can fish for Grouper in Federal wters but not State waters during July, August, September and October?
That's the idea. Any gag caught in fed waters during the closed state season would be legal if you did not stop in state waters on the way in, at all. Same thing is already true for several species where the fed limits are different from state.
For example, fed cobia limit per person is two, state, one. Feds don't allow any harvest of red drum, state now allows two. So, you have to be careful in both directions, depending on what you catch.

Kind of like duck and other migratory bird regulations. It isn't for the sloppy angler, if you want to stay legal.
groupertherapy
Site Sponsor

Post by groupertherapy »

And if the grouper issue doesn't fire you up...the Fed is talking about a FORTY DAY RED SNAPPER SEASON. Nothing formal yet.