Triple Tail?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Triple Tail?

Post by fishing coach »

Sitting here watching Addictive Fishing and they are catching triple tail. I usually fish out of St. Marks, do we have them around here and has anyone ever had any luck targeting them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Triple Tail?

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THEY ARE HERE. HAVE CAUGHT 2 WHILE FISHING FOR TROUT, THEY HIT BONE COLOR GRUBS. THEY WERE NEXT TO A FLOATING CHANEL MARKER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Here you go -
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... il#p219709

Can't remember catching one myself.. :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Know that in the thread mjsigns shared above Barhopr mentioned fishing where you find cobia. I primarily fish east of St. Marks and hunt cobia almost every trip out. Guessing I've caught/helped others catch 50 or so cobia the past few years, and yet to see/hook the first triple tail on the east side of the bay.

Really curious to hear if any others have caught them east of St. Marks. See plenty of spade fish and file fish hanging out at some favorite cobia haunts, but never a single triple tail. Sure seems much more common for them to be caught on the west side of the bay.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

Gyrene,
Triple tail usually hang out next to some floating structure like a bough, log, piece of trash or a crab trap marker.
fishinfrenzi15

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

Seen one about 300 yards out from the boat ramp at Cape San Blas a couple years ago. Was hangin close to a crab trap buoy. Only time I have ever seen one locally.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Triple Tail secrets are about like Tarpon secrets. People will tell you how and with what, don't expect to hear alot about the WHERE.

I will tell you that targeting Tripletail takes dedication. Don't expect to go out and catch 10-12 a day. I think 2-3 is a good day. Most are caught while sight fishing structure. Actually most are caught while fishing for something else entirely. A good bait is a free lined shrimp. If I say anymore, the black helicopters will start hovering over my office.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

dogonenuts wrote:Gyrene,
Triple tail usually hang out next to some floating structure like a bough, log, piece of trash or a crab trap marker.
So do cobes, dogonenuts. :-) Hardly every pass up the chance to cast at ANY structure of any type (including floating structure) and hooked many a cobe doing so... tripletail, none.

And again, haven't seen a single one or even heard of one caught out of the east side of the bay. KNOW they're on the west side of the bay (and then again down further south along the gulf coastline). Just looking for a single soul to say they've caught one out of Aucilla, Econ, Steinhatchee area. Not saying they haven't but can sure tell you I've been following this board for almost 10 years and reports for triple tail have NOT been strong out of the east side / usually are out of the west side. Barhopr gave pretty good explanation as to why in an earlier thread. Just wondering if even a single one has wound it's way over to the east side.

And won't surprise me at all if they do get hooked in the east side of the bay from time to time. Heck, board member Chalk even used to target direction-challenged lost snook in our neck of the woods, if memory serves. ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Apalachicola Bay, especially west of the river towards Indian Pass. Check every channel marker, every post, and every crab trap marker on the main channel and on the north side of the Bay going west.

Like tarpon, they like warm weather. One guy operates the boat, one guy throws the shrimp or lure towards the structure. If you have a tower or a step ladder on the front of the boat (kinda like sight fishing the beach for cobia) you can easily spot them. At deck level, it is hard to see them in stained water but you can blind cast a shrimp on a cork to each post or spot, just takes a lot more time that way. If you saw that Blair Wiggins show you can catch them because that is exactly how to do it. When it is pretty hot and nothing else is biting it is time to try trips. You will be doing a lot of running so it won't be so hot, and as calm as it often is in deep summer you can put a small step ladder on the front of the boat without flying out in order to see them. With a tower of course you are in trip spotting heaven.

EJ