Best Mono?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Best Mono?

Post by Dockwilson »

Is there a monofilament line that won't get all twisted on a spinning reel?
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Re: Best Mono?

Post by jadams92002 »

Double post sorry.
Last edited by jadams92002 on May 17th, 2012, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

Nope. I have the same trouble even with braid. Try using a swivel and a leader. It will let the line twist come out on the retrieve. Another thing is to remove the lure and let the line out while the boat is moving, then reel the line back in. That will remove the twists for a while, but the swivel works the best in my opinion.

Grizzly
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Check the line roller on the bail of your reel. Sometimes the bearing or bushing will get corroded and the roller stops rolling. If it is frozen it might need a new bearing or bushing.
This will help a lot in controlling line twist.
Last edited by fishinfool on May 17th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGSTZ-c4Rc

make sure you're putting the line on right too. this might help
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

And close the bail by hand.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The other things that will help are:

1. Stop your line every cast with your finger just before your plug hits the water.

2. Always close the bail of the spinning reel by hand. Every time you crank the handle to close the bail, it puts a twist or two in the line before it starts retrieving.

One cure for the line twist is to cut the lure off and let the line drag behind the boat while you are idling, then reel it back on after a short time. This will remove all the twist.

Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE BEEN USING ANDE MONO FOR YEARS, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TWIST IN THE LINE ON THE SPINNERS. BEFORE I GO FISHING I LET OUT ABOUT 100 YRDS OF LINE AND STRECH THE LINE UNTIL THE SPOOL STARTS TO TURN, THEN REEL THE LINE BACK IN THROUGH MY FINGERS. I USE THE ANDE ON ALL OF MY REELS AND SO FAR HAVE BEEN VERY WELL PLEASED.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

jadams92002 wrote:Nope. I have the same trouble even with braid. Try using a swivel and a leader. It will let the line twist come out on the retrieve. Another thing is to remove the lure and let the line out while the boat is moving, then reel the line back in. That will remove the twists for a while, but the swivel works the best in my opinion.

Grizzly
I have multiple swivels on the line. One at the end of the mono, then one that is part of the Cajun thunder cork. They are new Shimano Combos from Kevin's for my wife to use.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have Ande backcountry on some of my reels and regular stren on others. I seem to have fewer problems with the stren and it has less stretch.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

Well I.m.o......
If you are not going to use braid, then I would switch from mono to a copoly like yozuri hybrid. Less twist and a lot less stretch. Make sure to ALWAYS close your bail by hand, and you shouldn't have any problems.

However...
If you are using the rod specificly for a popping cork, then I can't stress enough how much better your life will be by switching to braid. When using a cork, the braid casts farther, floats, and has zero stretch. I used to hate when I made a great, long, 30+ yd cast....... and then get a bite on the end of it. Between the distance and the mono stretch, you had to set the hook 7ft over your head.....and half the time that didn't even work.
Now I just twitch my wrist. Done. My hooking percentage skyrocketed after switching to braid when using a popping cork. Yours will too. There's a million agrguments to be made about mono vs braid in most applications...... but I just cannot see any downside what so ever to using braid exclusively for popping corks~ espicially if you can dedicate a rod specificly to that technique. Its a no brainer. You may be a little gunshy of the initial price of braid..... but trust me...its cheaper than mono. My popping cork rig has had the same line on it for two years now, as I turned the spool over this winter......and it is in great shape. Casts long and smooth and is as green and strong as the day I got it..... although admittedly, quite a bit softer overall.

Get some 20lb power pro, and a spool of berkley 100% flourocarbon, and you have the be all end all of popping cork rigs, and you won't have to get new line for it till next NEXT year.*

*if you take care of it and don't leave it out in the sun.....

Good luck!
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Yeah, I have used braid for years on all the rods I use. I will just switch hers to braid also. I don't know why I even thought about mono again. A senior moment I guess. :)
spooky
Site Sponsor

Post by spooky »

i agree with pa