Flats fishing gear?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Flats fishing gear?

Post by Redbelly »

Been a couple of years :o since I've been serious about the flats. Need to re-line my rods. Buy some more tackle, have a little now.

What type do you ol'salts use for fishing...,rod, reel, #lines.

I've been reading Woods n Water, and reading here on the latest "hot" lures.

I always had luck with cut pinfish, shrimp and live ones that I caught with light tackle.

I'm just curious as to what you guys are using. May have to go on a buying trip! :lol:
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Ambassadeur reels for me and 1\8 ounce jig heads 12 # mono line. Been using these since '66 no need to change now.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Ditto for me but I wasn't around in 66' :lol:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Shimano Cardiff reels, light action rods, jigs, grubs, mirrolures, and other assorted hard baits. It doesn't matter what you fish with as long as you like the equipment, it'll all catch fish,
What was I supposed to do today?
SneakyBooger

Post by SneakyBooger »

I like Shimano 2500 and 4000's.

However, the biggest trout I caught this weekend (20 inches) came on my 5 year old's Zebco 33. No lie.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I use Shimano and Sahara spinning reels in the 2500 to 4000 size with 7 ft to 7' 6" rods medium or medium heavy. I have a Ande rod, Bass Pro Shops Inshore rod, and a Berkley Bionix rod. They all work good. I usually use Stren Magnaflex or P-Line Fluorocarbon line. I lean toward the Stren for casting distance though. I use 8 lb or 10 lb line.

That said, the first consideration I would look for in a rod is COMFORT!!!! My hand sure can ache after six or eight hours or casting. I have a Quantum PT spinning rod for freshwater that has the most comfortable handle I have ever used. When I can make myself spend the money I will probably by a new one in 7 foot medium or med Heavy for my next rod.

As far as reels, look for solid construction, lightness and at least three bearings. Don't buy cheap (less than $50) it just want last as long.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I try to be prepared for other options- I use three and sometimes four poles, each with a specific use:

1- rigged for Topwater with a chugbug.
1- rigged with a C/T with a jig 20"-24" below the float.
1- rigged with a jig for bottom jigging.
1- rigged to float a live pinfish behind the boat.

Saves time on re-rigging for a different situation...

:smt066
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

With four rods I agree with mjsigns terminal tackle choices.
What rod, reel & line? I'll tell you what I'm finally happy with. I've gone through a lot of high end gear to find this setup.
A 2500 Shimanno Symetre reel and a 7ft medium/light action St Croix Tidemaster rod. They're about $80 each. I did love P-line but I've been using 10lb power pro since spring and it's amazing stuff. Thin as thread and as stong as you could ever want. Tying takes some practice but it's worth it.