St. George Bay

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

St. George Bay

Post by Tailspotspotter »

Does anyone have any suggestions for the bay. I mostly fish out of Spring Creek and St. Marks and this will be my first experience other than surf fishing on the Gulf side of the Island. And where is the best place to launch, we will be staying towards the State Park end. Any info would be greatly appreciated. By the way, nice report EMC.
ragansm1

Post by ragansm1 »

I will be going to the Island all next week also. We usually put in by the bridge. Not a real good place but it will work. Watch for the p.v.c pipes for markers. As far as the fishing goes I really don't know a lot about it. Try and find grass beds in as deep of water as you can. If you go to the west end called the cut it is good fishing from the rocks.
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

First the tides are favorable for launching at the bridge next week. All True low tides are after dark. From Monday - Thursday, no tides will be less than 1 foot over low water level. Even Friday and Saturday the lows during daylight will be .8 and .7 feet. There are two boat ramps in the park, but I don't care for either. Even after launching, you are facing a gauntlet of oyster bars waiting for your lower unit. :( If you have problems at the bridge, I suggest biting the bullet and going to the Apalachicola City Marina, aka 10 foot hole. The ramps are a little steep, but the ramps are good, paved and have docks.

If you launch at the bridge, I would head East. Many coves, oyster bars, flats and at the end is East end. If you launch from Apalach, follow the channel markers, and there are shallow and deep flats everywhere. At the end is the fabled "Sikes Cut". I was there 3rd week in June, and although I didn't slay them, I got Bluefish, Whiting, Spanish(one was 24 inches), Lady fish and one 29 inch Red. There are many flats on both sides of the Cut - Bayside. On the Gulf side, there are times the fishing can really get hot around the outside of both jetties, although I have always had my best luck just East of the East jetty. If the water is not too rough, and you aren't having any luck around the cut, you might go down to the lighthouse at Cape St. George. Things can get hot there.

Hope this has helped a little, but the best advice is to change your vacations to late April and October. That is when things really break loose. Yeah, I know that is out of the question for many, but it is also a little cooler then. :smt077
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The second boat ramp in the State Park isn't too bad. But, as GeorgeP stated, you have to dodge the oyster bars. There is a channel you can run. The first time I launched there I took the time to idle around and store several points along the channel. I would suggest doing this because on a high tide all the bars are not visible.

Just out from the ramp is Pelican Island. This area holds a lot of reds and trout. There is a shallow flat just east of the channel out of the ramp. Lots of folks sight fish this flats area for reds. About 4 miles east of the ramp is Marsh Island. This is a grassy flats area that produces lots of trout, and if you have a shallow draft boat and can get in close, this area also holds reds.

Hope this helps.
What was I supposed to do today?
Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. I do have a shallow draft jon boat w/ a 25hp, so I think Apalach. is out of the question. I think I'll go for putting in at the bridge Fri. evening and getting a real early start Sat. morn working toward East Pass. How far off the coast is it safe to run to get to just before the Park, that's where we are staying.
GeorgeP
Site Sponsor

Post by GeorgeP »

A John with a 25hp, why didn't you say so. Launch at the bridge. Most of the run from the bridge to just before Goose Island is 5+ feet if you are 500 or more feet from land. Just before you get to Goose Island, be careful. (When the channel takes a 45 degree turn North, there are some dangerous places close in and some bars.)

You mentioned launching Friday, that indicates you are staying at a house with a dock? 8)
Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

GeorgeP you are correct :lol: . I have no lights but I think I'll be able to make it before dark, just hope to make it by Goose Island, that could ruin a w/e. Thanks so much for all the info.
SneakyBooger

Post by SneakyBooger »

Tailspotspotter,
I have a 22 foot PathFinder and have never had any problem launching at the park.
Like they said, watch out for the oysters bars. If possible, take your first trip there on low tide and check out where the bars are. You should be fine with a jon boat.
Hit the flats to the west of the launch or go around to the other side (to the east) and you will find a flat that is fishable for trout.
G luck and take lots of picks.
Sneak

Here's the places I like to fish for trout/reds around the park:
Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

Thanks SneakyBooger, that is the best help anyone could ask for. Hopefully there will be lots of pics and I am sure a tale. Thanks everyone.
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Cat Point Bar just to the east of the north end of the SGI Bridge holds a few trout and reds sometimes.
od