Prop Protection From Fishing Line?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishman
Site Sponsor

Prop Protection From Fishing Line?

Post by Fishman »

A few years ago I was doing some river fishing and got someones discarded fishing line wrapped around my prop.The fishing line cut the seal and caused damage to my lower unit.Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideals of protecting an outboard motor from this happening again?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Prop Protection From Fishing Line?

Post by Steve Stinson »

I haven't ever figured out a way to avoid this. I used to just take my prop off every once in a while and remove the line when I fished in Tampa Bay. The problem doesn't seem to be as bad up here.

Ice bags are another thing that can get you. They are very hard to see in the water and can wrap the foot of an outboard shutting down the water intakes.

Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I agree with Steve that there is no way to completely avoid the problem. Taking the prop off now and then is a good move, IMO. However, some motors, like my 150 Suzuki FS, have cutters on the shaft that will give some temporary protection against the seal being damaged. I found this out after jumping in the water near K-tower to remove power pro wrapped around the shaft (there is a story there, but another time), and then going in to the dealer for removal and repair, if needed. The cutters were explained and no seal damage was done, although they did remove some short sections of line, which was good and necessary in the long run.

EJ
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Sharpen the blades on your prop. Works for hydrilla and sargaso weed too. Don't know about aluminum props, but it worked for me on stainless steel.