Early youth rifle season with my son..

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Early youth rifle season with my son..

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My son and I have been looking forward to the early season and his chance to get a deer before his daddy does. So sat morning he was up and ready, a lot easier than usual, to get in the stand. It was beautiful morning. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.usImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us We sat till 9:30 and did not see anything so we got down and made some mock scrapes. That afternoon we got back in the stand at 5:00 to sit till dark. Did not see much until about 30 minutes till dark a big doe and fawn came out to feed.Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us We waited till they left to get down. Sunday we hunted before church and that afternoon but did not see anything. Monday morning we sat for a little while before I had to go to work but saw nothing. I figured o well this coming week will be cooler. I get home that afternoon and my son is ready to go when I get there, so I hurry up and we head to the stand. It's kind of warm and I figure we are not going to see anything. So we are just talking, you know having those great conversations that you dont have when a tv is on. At 7:25 out pops a buck from or left. I get the gun for him and he gets lined up for the shot. The deer is walking so I whistle to stop him and he gives him a quartering away shot. I whisper "get him" and......BOOM the .222 barks. The deer shudders and runs tucked tail away. We high 5 and get down to look cause light is fading fast. I go to where it looked like he went and found nothing so we wait for momma to bring the flash lights. The 3 of us try to find where he was at the shot but the ground is dry and you cant tell new tracks from old ones. We walked all over the plot for 30 minutes and found no blood hair or anything. He thinks he missed and wants to give up. I get the brightest flashlight and head back into the briars and pines to look one last time. I amble around in there for 20 minutes and find no sign at all of a hit. So I ask the lord, "Lord if he hit it please let me find it" And not 30 seconds later this is what I saw. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us From any other direction I would not have seen the white belly. God answered my prayer. I shouted to them that I found it and told him it was "Hamburger" That was our name for him because he was always on camera and we knew we would get him. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Hamburger had 5pts and weighed 130#s. There is nothing like watching your son get a deer with you beside him. It is one of the best things in life.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Early youth rifle season with my son..

Post by DEMON »

Congrats to you and your son. You are a good dad.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

very nice! Congrats to both of you.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Great. congrats to both of you
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

It was an awesome feeling to sit there and watch him take a deer. I'm very proud of him. Of course no matter what I get later he says he got the 1st one. :-D
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Great Job !!!
bman

Post by bman »

That is a happy boy! Awesome!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

Cant wipe the grin of the boys face. Congratulations!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

AWESOME!!!
Stay Thirsty My Friends
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Looks like a "Humdinger" to me! Don't know who is the proudest, daddy or son, and for good reason.

Congratulations to all!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

:-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc