anyone have an IPilot Riptide?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

anyone have an IPilot Riptide?

Post by dombern34 »

I’m looking to upgrade my trolling motor since I got mine sold to a member on here, I’m looking at the ipilot and was wondering if anyone has any experience with one? Is it worth the money or would the co pilot or auto pilot be fine. I know the difference between the three but for the price of the auto pilot might as well add the few bucks and go with the ipilot. Is the whole wireless thing work without any flaws? I’m mostly worried about fishing a area and while driving if I’m about to drift over a bed or a rock can I move out of the way fast enough with it like i could a hand controlled? I like the idea that I could possibly work it anywhere in the boat. Any input or advice would be great. Thanks for your time.
HewesMan

Re: anyone have an IPilot Riptide?

Post by HewesMan »

I don't personally have one but I have read a lot over at the MBC forum from people that have them so I'll give you some things that I have read and remembered.

People say that if you ever get one you will never want to go back to a hand controlled one. The ability to use the anchor function is flawless and great if you don't have a PP. Even with people that do have a PP, if you are in 8+ feet of water the PP won't work. The GPS tracking is great for staying along depth contours.

like I said, from what I have read and understand, they are great especially if you have the $$ to get one. I would love one but I have to many other things to do to the boat right now.
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

I have one, you can work it around fast enough to avoid shallow spots oyster beds and rocks. I will never own anything else again. Is there times when a foot controlled or hand control would be a little more convenient sure. If you have hand or foot control now is there a lot of times the remote is better darn sure is.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

Got one and love it, the remote is surprisingly responsive enough to work in creeks w/ oyster beds. The only time you will have an issue is if the current is so strong the boat is moving at a really good pace. It really excels in open water though with the anchor, tracks and auto pilot.

I've owned a foot, tiller and now this and certainly wouldn't go back to the others.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I also have one and the anchor function is my favorite feature. Love it. I am considering getting the add on foot control though.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

well, I thought I would give you the other side of the fence. I had one. Nothing but problems with it (board, spinning circles). I now have a handle controlled and it functions flawlessly.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I appreciate the info guys, one fish, they didn't warranty it once your problems started or did you just fix it and sell it? I haven't read any negative things yet as far as problems goes. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on something soon since I've sold my hand control to member on here looking for one. Reckon ill be posting my own review here in the near future. Again thanks to every one who chimes in with their advice on it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hey Dom, I don't have one, but fished on a boat w one last year. Bad a$$. Definately my next purchase. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Hey Dom, go to the MK site. They've got rebates going on now.
slayer

Post by slayer »

I went whole Hawg.....Riptide ST 80 I-pilot, added the wired foot control and the RTA17 Quick release bracket......got out the door with everything for 1640.00 and that included free shipping ...plus I'm waiting on my 80.00 rebate to arrive.....only used it once so far but I tested every function the best I could given the time I had to do it in.....I will let you know if my main objective was achieved.....come snapper season @ Mexico Beach !!!!!!
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

awesome! yeah i know it's not going to be a cheap upgrade by any means but was just wanting to double check and make sure that money wasn't going to be wasted if it really doesn't do much more than a hand control would do. if i don't like it, some one on here will get a pretty sweet deal on one!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

It was used. I am sure a new one that actually works will be a great addition to the arsenal. I guess I just like the simplicity of the tiller. I like low maintenance, reckon that is why I live in a brick house and my business has vinyl siding. :)
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

We have one. It's the 100# 36 volt with the remote. LOVE IT!!!! The anchor feature is awesome!!!! We haven't had any problems and have had it about 8 months. Don't know how we lived without it before. Definately a great purchase.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

@Slayer... used mine last year in MB sitting over the spot with no anchor out 100' of water pulling snapper in left and right... my buddy couldn't stay over the wreck and didn't want to drop anchor. That spot lock is priceless.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CarolinaJim

Post by CarolinaJim »

The only time I have used my anchor in last 18 months since getting i pilot was when my buddy left his anchor at home and I let him borrow mine.
My electronics cost more than my boat,motor, and trailer.