Will rainwater mess up fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Seachaser

Will rainwater mess up fishing?

Post by Seachaser »

in the Big Bend area like before? How much did yall get???
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Will rainwater mess up fishing?

Post by SS-342 »

2.75" so far with more to come. Heard some areas got over five inches.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

The water that really effects our fishing falls in Georgia .. This isn't near as bad as the tropical storm.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Right at 6" from Friday morning to Saturday Evening here in Boston, GA.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Yep, there has been enough rain in the drainage area of most of the rivers we fish to significantly change the clarity and salinity of the water on the flats. Gonna have to hunt the break lines.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We went yesterday. The reds were close lipped but the trout were HUNGRY! We caught 8 keepers and a bunch of just shorts. Fished for 3 hours and had action the whole time. All on artificials.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Monday evening....by now they must be all drowned! Rained all night and day, today. More to come.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

The redfish bite was on fire yesterday(Sunday). We caught about a dozen slot fish in a couple of hours. I always like the late winter rains. Seems to push the fish out of the rivers and get everything primed up for the spring.
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

I have been fishing the Big Bend area for around 15 years, and something that I have noticed every time this kind of rain moves in it always effects the fishing however the bite doesn't completely stop and in some cases gets better, you just have to know where to look. If it were to rain just over the gulf itself, it wouldn't effect the pattern of the fish too much because the ocean can handle that small amount of precipitation at that time. Where the problem lies is the rain in westerly Georgia and Alabama that fill those many rivers and creeks that dump into the gulf. Its sort of like turning your shower head on and letting the water sprinkle into the tub, then taking a 5 gal bucket and holding it under the shower head, filling it up, and dumping it at once. The shower head would have eventually produced that same amount of water but not in near that volume at one time.

FYI: One thing to remember is that excessive rainfalls (like the ones lately, which we needed!!) effects both fresh and saltwater ecosystems. In saltwater it is the fresh to saltwater balance and the temperatures. In freshwater it effects mainly the temp and the water levels. All these in turn determine the patterns of the fish. As we all may know, fish and other water game don't have to work, sleep or pay taxes like we do (haha) they just EAT. So as the experienced angler knows, wherever the food source of choice for our targeted game fish move they follow. Everything is a circle; if the food of choice for the trout is effected by the amount of fresh rainwater dumped into the gulf, and move, the trout will pack up and follow their food.

What I have come to notice throughout the years is that when fishing in the gulf anywhere from one to 3 weeks even up to a month after rains like this, is that the fish (especially trout) are usually deeper than they normally would be for this time of year. Mainly because all of the freshwater from the creeks and rivers that throw off the balance is closer inshore and tends to dissipate the further offshore you get, which drives the saltwater relying bait food deeper. However this time of year most of those "fish" are gone anyway i.e. "pinfish" because the water temps are simply too cool for them to thrive. In turn this leaves a variety of shrimp, crab, and other not-so-delicate food for these trout and redfish to feed on and usually you find this type of food in the inshore creek inlets of the gulf and big bend area.

I have always had great luck fishing both the creeks and further out in 3 on up to 6 feet of water after heavy rains like this. Just wanted to share a little insight on things i have found through experience that will help others fill their coolers!! I wish all you guys fun and safe fishing!
RoRo

Post by RoRo »

Good advice Trout07, thanks!
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Thanks for the insights.
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

Thats why we are here guys! One big fishin' family!!! I still have a lot to learn but it always helps make things better when you can take advice from other people to make yourself a better angler!! We get most of our knowledge and experience from the ones that share a little!! Thanks!!
aglass

Post by aglass »

So the fishing around aucilla and ecofina mouths should still produce some trout say this saturday? Orwill they be more in the holes of the rivers or out towards flats.? Thanks for advice. Might make a trip down Saturday if y'all think it won't be to much rain.
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

aglass,

I would definitely try the mouth of the creeks and rivers. I would even venture into the creeks just a little ways. If you still have no luck, and the water out on the flats is a coffee color, then you need to find at least 4' of water. However if you are fishing econfina, after i tried the creeks i would try the westerly side about 1/4 mile out. This area is full of grass lulls and ditches that trout love no matter what. If you go shoot me a report! Have a great time! wish i were there!!
aglass

Post by aglass »

Thanks for the info. Didn't get a chance to go this past weekend. Gonna try this weekend.