Which Bottom Machine w. Maps for Inshore?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Which Bottom Machine w. Maps for Inshore?

Post by Aucilla »

I have to get a new bottom machine for the 13'-er and I have decided to get a "combo" unit that gives depth/bottom info but also has built-in GPS with maps. I fish entirely inshore saltwater and like to have a lot of shoreline detail in the maps.

Up until know, for a GPS, I have been using a Garmin GPS handheld, and I really like the maps. They have a lot of detail of the coastline. I looked at a couple of Garmin combo bottom machines, and they have really good inshore maps.

But there is a Lowrance I am looking at, too. It comes with a built in map, plus a fancy blue water map included ("Navionics") that I imagine I could use to sail to Europe. But when I look at THAT map, I was very surprised at how poor it was on showing the Big Bend coast. For Mashes Sand, for example, it made it look like it was an island. It didn't look at all like Mashes Sand. The Garmin machine's map showed it very accurately, except a lot of dry land was shown as wetland (and this "wetland" area--where the canals and boat ramp are--was shown as open water on the Lowrance Navionics).

Trouble is, even though the maps are worse, I think I prefer the bottom machine aspect of the Lowrance; and it is also cheaper. For example, it has the downscan feature that looks like it would be a great way to find details like structure or like holes in a river bottom, etc.

I discovered that if I turned off the Lowrance "gold" Navionics map (that is now free as part of a special offer), I would get a better view of the Big Bend coast (using the basic, included built-in Lowrance map).

So, I am wondering if I might be able to put my Garmin maps from my Garmin MapSource CD on the Lowrance? Or if there are some good Lowrance add-on maps other than this blue-water Navionics set........ Or if I am just looking at the Lowrance maps wrong (the salesman I have spoken with didn't know much about it at all).

Also, I hope I am not making a mistake getting the downward imaging, "downscan," rather than traditional sonar....

Confused? I am.

Any thoughts?
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Re: Which Bottom Machine w. Maps for Inshore?

Post by Aucilla »

Prediction: Lowrance has a better bottom machine, and Garmin has a better GPS/chartplotter. Pick one. :smt017
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Maps won't cross platforms, if you are a waypoint addict also check out the Garmin Homeport software which will use the map from the unit with all the detail and let you backup, enter and spend hours fooling around with the maps looking for a new spot. Also beats entering waypoints via clicks/scrolling etc.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150