Grouper Regulations State v. Federal

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

Grouper Regulations State v. Federal

Post by jslorenz3 »

Okay, so I realize this is a recurring thread, but I am still confused. I know that the minimum length is 22", but I am confused as to where the federal waters start and the state lines end. From what I understand, the state season is open, but the federal season is not. So I have to catch the gags in state waters in order to keep them?
Sorry for bringing this up again. I feel like we get set up to be a criminal when all I want is a grouper sandwich!
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Jhults11

Re: Grouper Regulations State v. Federal

Post by Jhults11 »

You are correct..state waters are currently open and federal waters are closed. State waters extend from the shore out to 9 nautical miles (dog island is included as a state land mass). Federal waters will not open until July 1, when state waters close. The federal season is currently set to run through sometime in November with an option to extend through December if the alloted harvest rate of gag grouper is not met. If you go on FWC's home page and search map layers you can actually download a 9 mile state line GIS layer and place it on whatever mapping device you use on your PC OR MAC for mapping your waypoints (ie. google earth). It's def helpful and let's u plot your courses so you can determine which one of your #s are in state vs federal. Hope this helps! :thumbup:
Last edited by Jhults11 on May 15th, 2013, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

This very helpful! This is exactly what is was looking for. Thanks!
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Good info, but the 9 nautical mile line is already mapped on any chart plotter that uses NOAA charts as a base layer. Your stored coordinates show up on the display and you can easily plan where to fish gags without additional fuss. Theoretically this state/fed regulations split may go on with snapper, too. It's so stupid.

Luck,
EJ
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

EJ. I said the same thing a while back. I'm looking at my mapsource program and the line I see is, about 3 miles off SGI untill, it gets to the east end, then goes east. That's the line I see on my computer program.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Wrong line. The nine nautical mile boundary is labeled "natural resources boundary" on the chart. It's pretty easy to eyeball that the line is 9nm off of land forms. It's also explained on the NOAA chart 11405 in note x.

EJ
slayer

Post by slayer »

Just pulled this from current regulations...I dont see where Gag grouper is open during the month of June in state waters(except for just a few counties) in state waters

Basic recreational saltwater fishing regulations for state waters of Florida
This brief summary of regulations governs the taking of saltwater species in Florida
state
waters for personal use. It is not applicable to the commercial harvesting of these species. The absence of
complete laws, rules and regulations in this summary does not relieve persons from compliance with those laws, rules or regulations.
State waters extend to 3 nautical miles on the Atlantic and
9 nautical miles on the Gulf. Federal rules apply beyond state waters unless expressly stated otherwise. For species that do not have an established bag limit, more than 100 pounds or two
fish per harvester per day (whichever is greater), is considered commercial quantities.
A saltwater products license and commercial vessel registration are required to harvest commercial quantities
of unregulated species. It is illegal to sell recreationally harvested fish without compliance with commercial license requirements. Issue Forty Two, Jan. 2013.
Highlights indicate recent regulation changes.

GAG GROUPER

24"
Atlantic & Monroe County
22"
Gulf
(excluding Monroe
County)
Gulf (excluding Franklin,
Wakulla, Jefferson, Taylor
and Monroe) CLOSED
through June 30, 2013.
OPEN July 1 through
Dec. 3.
Franklin, Wakulla, Jef
-
ferson, and Taylor OPEN
April 1 - June 30. Closes
July 1.
Atlantic and Monroe:
Closed Jan. 1 - April 30.
1 per harvester per day
Atlantic & Monroe County
;
2 per harvester per day
Gulf
(excluding Monroe County)
No more than 1 fish may be Gag or Black Grouper, either individually or in
combination in
Atlantic & Monroe County
Included within the 3 per harvester per day (Atlantic & Monroe County)
and 4 per harvester per day (Gulf excluding Monroe County) Grouper
aggregate bag limit.
Zero daily bag and possession limit for captain & crew on for-hire vessels.
Please visit: MyFWC.com for the latest updates
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »