Shrimping in Apalachicola Bay

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Foxtrot92

Shrimping in Apalachicola Bay

Post by Foxtrot92 »

So I guess it's not technically fishing but...

I have been trying to learn how to shrimp for over a year but have not been having much (or any) luck, due to the fact I'm not quite sure what I am doing. I think I understand the basics (light in the water, looking for shrimp) but I have not caught any shrimp. Is there a specific place where the shrimp are? Is there a light anyone would recommend? Do I have the complete wrong idea of what I am doing? To make up for my lack of shrimping skills, I spend most of my time fishing, but shrimp are too tasty to miss out on. Any tips, pointers, or general help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!
poppincork

Re: Shrimping in Apalachicola Bay

Post by poppincork »

I'm not sure if this helps, but I sometimes hear about people catching shrimp near bald point and alligator point with cast nets.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

mud cove. I tried it once and we caught a few, but not enough worth trying to keep. We had a good time and I would consider trying it again.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I don't know of any place that is consistently good in the Big Bend area. Inshore areas have too many oysters and such. They scatter over the flats too much. I've caught quite a few on the St. Johns River and at Sapelo Sound.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
reeltherapy

Post by reeltherapy »

MudDucker wrote:I don't know of any place that is consistently good in the Big Bend area. Inshore areas have too many oysters and such. They scatter over the flats too much. I've caught quite a few on the St. Johns River and at Sapelo Sound.

X2 I have hunted sapelo island a bunch and you and load the boat with a cast net there. Have you tried using bait for them. I have seen people use everything from cans of cat food with a bunch of holes in it to balls of flower and other stuff. They put them in several spots and wait a wile and throw a cast net over them.
Foxtrot92

Post by Foxtrot92 »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

reeltherapy wrote:
MudDucker wrote:I don't know of any place that is consistently good in the Big Bend area. Inshore areas have too many oysters and such. They scatter over the flats too much. I've caught quite a few on the St. Johns River and at Sapelo Sound.

X2 I have hunted sapelo island a bunch and you and load the boat with a cast net there. Have you tried using bait for them. I have seen people use everything from cans of cat food with a bunch of holes in it to balls of flower and other stuff. They put them in several spots and wait a wile and throw a cast net over them.
It is illegal to bait shrimp in Georgia. It is okay in S. Carolina. Don't know about Florida. In S. Carolina they use dough balls made with fish meal.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!