St Marks NWR, June 15,16

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

St Marks NWR, June 15,16

Post by Terrier »

Fished the lighthouse wash bar Sat evening and this morning with my son. Slow, but with more activity Saturday evening - picked up a 16" trout and a 13" flounder toward sunset. Also lost a huge ladyfish when it did a skyrocket jump. I got out of the water when a large gator swam out of the boat ramp canal toward where I was wading - this thing looked to be about 10' and I didn't want to bump into while waist deep. This morning I managed a 21" trout at the end of the bar. This trout fought really well and I thought it was bigger than 21'. The water was full of uprooted turtle grass which made fly fishing difficult, but the water is clearing and not very murky. Next week's full moon should be good. All fish came off a green/opal polarflash clouser.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR, June 15,16

Post by FHC »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks NWR, June 15,16

Post by GaryDroze »

I don't understand why the St Marks Refuge doesn't enjoy a bigger reputation as a fly-fishing mecca. Lotsa shallow water action and plenty of room to cast on the flats and tidal creeks. As for the gators: as long as you see them and they see you, you are probably okay, unless you are retrieving a thrashing fish or - this is not legal there now - dragging chicken parts on twine for crabs. On Saturday, I paddled my 11 foot canoe right over a 9 foot lizard in 3 feet of narrow creek water. It politely hugged the bottom as I held my breath and bravely avoided fainting.