3,750 acres of public land near Lake Miccosukee for sale.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Re: 3,750 acres of public land near Lake Miccosukee for sale

Post by mjsigns »

Did you now there is an improved airstrip on that land used by the previous owner? (I think drug monies purchased it in the early 80's). It is part of a big plantation that was privately managed. I was friends with their son, back when we could drink Jack Daniels straight from the bottle. That was quite a large insect infested piece of land, plenty of room to roam and plenty of "hidden" spots to cultivate illegal crops. :smt004
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

What i have seen twice, was the State sold off property, and then the new owners come back and demand public funding, MORE than the selling price that the State sold it for??? Big developers know how to use the system..
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

charlie tuna wrote:Big developers know how to use the system..
And what is the problem with that? The system is the same for the everybody & you can take advantage of it the same as they are.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

mjsigns wrote:Did you now there is an improved airstrip on that land used by the previous owner? (I think drug monies purchased it in the early 80's). It is part of a big plantation that was privately managed. I was friends with their son, back when we could drink Jack Daniels straight from the bottle. That was quite a large insect infested piece of land, plenty of room to roam and plenty of "hidden" spots to cultivate illegal crops. :smt004

You must be talking about a different piece of property. No airstrip in Wards Creek property although most of the plantations have them or did at one time.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
And what is the problem with that? The system is the same for the everybody & you can take advantage of it the same as they are.
I don't think there too many forum members here that have matching funds like Disney-Arvida, or Arthor Vinning Davis, who could buy up a deal like this for maybe two or three million dollars. Then start developing the usable property and when that runs dry, demand that the county install flood control systems for five or six million dollars to allow the developer to fully sell off the original parcel of land. It's the basic property tax payer who actually ends up "paying" for this property. In the long run, much of this property should be conserved for open space considerations.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

charlie tuna wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:
I don't think there too many forum members here that have matching funds like Disney-Arvida, or Arthor Vinning Davis, who could buy up a deal like this for maybe two or three million dollars. Then start developing the usable property and when that runs dry, demand that the county install flood control systems for five or six million dollars to allow the developer to fully sell off the original parcel of land. It's the basic property tax payer who actually ends up "paying" for this property. In the long run, much of this property should be conserved for open space considerations.

While that may be true, the same rules apply to you and Disney, Arthur Vinning Davis or anyone else. The system is not tilted in their favor. They just happen to be in better circumstances than you. That's not a dig at you personally but you have the same rights, abilities and options they do under. Whether you choose to act on them or not is not "Big Business's" fault. People get rich taking chances & people lose it all taking chances. But you have to make a choice rather than complain about what they do with their hard earned money & the things they choose to do with it.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Reel Cowboy wrote: ...the same rules apply to you and Disney, Arthur Vinning Davis or anyone else. The system is not tilted in their favor. They just happen to be in better circumstances than you. That's not a dig at you personally but you have the same rights, abilities and options they do under. Whether you choose to act on them or not is not "Big Business's" fault. People get rich taking chances & people lose it all taking chances. But you have to make a choice rather than complain about what they do with their hard earned money & the things they choose to do with it.
:thumbup: :beer:
charlie tuna wrote:I don't think there too many forum members here that have matching funds like Disney-Arvida, or Arthor Vinning Davis, who could buy up a deal like this for maybe two or three million dollars.
Suspect you're wrong on that one, Charlie Tuna... tons of folks visit this board and suspect a few have pretty deep pockets... heck, look at the board owner who started the thread in the first place! I mean, his own tagline is, "Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net / I liked it so much, I bought the company" ;-) :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Wonder how many times a forum owner has ended up locking a thread he started himself? :roll: :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

the reason I called barhopper a moron, was because he hasn't taken the time to grasp the concept of that which he speaks. I apologize for acting somewhat juvenile in response but I was just trying to not lose him in the conversation. I haven't stated, or decided my views on this, nor would it matter, but it is obviously not just a few rednecks involved as the whipper snapper suggested. peace...
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I'd say a few more than just a few rednecks... :beer:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... SON-COUNTY!
Don't major in the minor stuff in life