Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

One Keeper

Re: Throwing cold water on somebody's nice catch...

Post by One Keeper »

My insight on this issue: I don't make a point to KILL every gator trout i catch, but if i'm down there fishing and need another fish or two to make a mess and i catch a 25 inch trout you can bet your arse i'm taking that fish home. The law sets these limits to conserve the fish population, as long as i'm within the law's limits i feel no guilt on taking a biggun home. It simply cost to much these days to go that far and bring nothing home to eat.
cotton

Post by cotton »

As many of you know I'm one of those guys who tries to release all healthy big fish. This post is a perfect example of why.

I fish several times a week and caught several thousand fish I could have kept last year. Why would a few extra lbs in the box matter to me.

But, the real reason I release trophy fish is for the folks that rarely get to fish. When I take my son fishing, it means the world to me to have him catch just one of those beautiful creatures. Every time I release one I think of him or someone elses kid catching that fish someday.

Perhaps I'm naive. But, I do know of a lady who has caught the same 1 eyed 10 lb bass twice this year .

I just like to believe every trophy I release is the one that hooks your kid or wife on fishing for the rest of their life. If you need to take it home and eat it to accomplish that goal. Then that's fine with me. That's why I let it go in the first place.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Flint River Pirate wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
Flint River Pirate wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Guys, I apologized to hit and miss. I never made any mention of why they were there or who gave them their waypoints. If there is something else I should do please let me know. All I can do is offer a sincere apology, which I have done.
I don't think Hit and Miss expected that. Don't apologize brother, you stated your opinion. This would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. Everyone on here has their own opinions. I am personal friends with many people on this site and i can assure you that we are a dynamic group. If I was a Moderator, I would close this silly thread. Ha!! Who's going this weekend????
Hey Pirate ... who asked for your opinion? No one and then you got to share this smelly one! Come on man, you got to straighten up. Just because you can legally post this post don't mean you should. Ain't you got no sense of direction in your life!
I think I am going to drive to Valdosta so you can take me to lunch. I can tell that you miss me. ;-)

Come on, but be sure to bring a gator trout to fry with you! :smt007
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

cotton wrote:I fish several times a week and caught several thousand fish I could have kept last year. Why would a few extra lbs in the box matter to me.
If you were to get a real job where you couldn't fish so much, this problem would be solved! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

bman wrote:Oh I've been too busy... busy with phone calls and emails for one particular client ;-)
You, don't say, Bman... because I know at least one particular client who keeps seeing posts like this every few minutes... playing the world's smallest violin for you, buddy! :lol: :smt005
Lazy Man's Day.jpg
Now on the other hand, board member Toden, this is more his "I actually work for a living!" speed. :thumbup: :beer: :smt045
Hard Working Man.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

And SHAME ON YOU FOR KILLING THAT POOR GATOR TROUT, BMAN!!! :smt012 :smt011 :smt009 :smt010 :smt005
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Post by bman »

PPPhhhhhTTTT :smt005
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

cotton wrote:As many of you know I'm one of those guys who tries to release all healthy big fish. This post is a perfect example of why.

I fish several times a week and caught several thousand fish I could have kept last year. Why would a few extra lbs in the box matter to me.

But, the real reason I release trophy fish is for the folks that rarely get to fish. When I take my son fishing, it means the world to me to have him catch just one of those beautiful creatures. Every time I release one I think of him or someone elses kid catching that fish someday.

Perhaps I'm naive. But, I do know of a lady who has caught the same 1 eyed 10 lb bass twice this year .

I just like to believe every trophy I release is the one that hooks your kid or wife on fishing for the rest of their life. If you need to take it home and eat it to accomplish that goal. Then that's fine with me. That's why I let it go in the first place.

Should have seen this coming............................. :roll:
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

cotton wrote:As many of you know I'm one of those guys who tries to release all healthy big fish. This post is a perfect example of why.

So if we take "several times a week" call it 3 + "several thousand" call it 3,000. Average catch is 19.2 "could have kept" fish per trip.

Somebody needs to pick this man up as a fishing partner.....
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

So if we take "several times a week" call it 3 + "several thousand" call it 3,000. Average catch is 19.2 "could have kept" fish per trip.

Somebody needs to pick this man up as a fishing partner....
You wouldn't be able to bring anything to the weigh in. :smt010
cotton

Post by cotton »

I thought my post was fairly polite. Guess not.
snatch-n-reel wrote:So if we take "several times a week" call it 3 + "several thousand" call it 3,000. Average catch is 19.2 "could have kept" fish per trip.
I'll let you figure it out. I'm guessing 2000, not 3000. Mostly freshwater.

Kayakwars only counts quality fish. Trout & Reds over 20", 16" bass, 12" Crappie, 9" bluegill.

My assumption is I caught numerous(5-10) keeper fish for every quality fish. I don't know if it's true. It's just a guess.

In 2012, I caught 383 quality fish. I'm quite certain I caught at least 6 keepers for every quality fish. It would vary with each species. For trout, its certainly true. For reds, probably not.
http://www.kayakwars.com/anglerprofile. ... lerid=1626

Throw in any boat outings that aren't included in kayakwars and a week fishing in MO. I'm sure were getting close.

Most of the 383 were released, and I still ate fish at least once a week. My biggest trout last year was eaten by a friend. It had so much damage, I knew it wouldn't survive. It happens.

I'm certain many folks would put my numbers to shame.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Rhettley wrote:Image
:-D My wife likes this one. :-D LOL
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Hee he hee, that happens to me as well. More often than I would like! My wife is my best fishing partner and am very thankful she likes fishing.

We appreciate your humor.

Tight lines and keep fishing!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP