Big Shout Out to Crums Mini Mall

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

robbankston
Site Sponsor

Big Shout Out to Crums Mini Mall

Post by robbankston »

My wife is teaching at COAST charter school in St. Marks. To raise money for the school all of the classes are tasked with putting together themed baskets to sell/auction off at the stone crab fest this saturday. My wife chose fishing of course because she enjoys it more than I do if that is possible. That girl will swing a gulp all day long. Anyway the kids are supposed to all bring in a little bit of stuff to load the basket with. Well apparently middle school kids just don't participate in stuff like this so she got zero items brought in. So it's up to us to put it together. Well we swung by Crums yesterday to pick up the things we needed. While there my wife asked if they would like to help out a little with maybe a small gift certificate or something. They explained that they do not have gift certificates but would put together a few items to add to the basket. Well we finished shopping and paid for the items we were getting and they hand her a bag of stuff. Ended up being numerous packages of gulps, some hooks, and a tshirt. Probably about 40 bux worth of merchandise. So if you get a chance to and are in panacea stop by and support these guys. They have a great selection of all kinds of different items, pretty good prices, and nice folks. If I can get what I need there I will always give them my business first. Just another good reason to shop locally. :thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Re: Big Shout Out to Crums Mini Mall

Post by robbankston »

Oh if you are at the festival Saturday stop by the COAST booth and show your support for them. :smt006
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

:thumbup: Crum's is good folks
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

My favorite bait and tackle store of all time. Wish they were franchised thruout the BigBend and Panhandle.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

dogonenuts wrote:My favorite bait and tackle store of all time. Wish they were franchised thruout the BigBend and Panhandle.
Then it wouldn't be the same, I frequent there also. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Crum's is my go to spot when I am fishing at the Point.

Like everybody said. Good folks.

Dubble :thumbup: :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

A good report! Hope all goes well at the festival. Sounds like your "keeper" is the same order as mine. She taught school for 40 years and loves to fish as much or more than me. We both are wonderfully blessed!

Good folks with businesses are all over our area. I do most of my bait buying in Perry. Wilson's can't be beat!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I've never spoken to Mr. Crum in person so I don't really understand his reasoning for this but he is one of the major parties suing the state over the net ban. He won't be getting my support.

Fulford sided with the Wakulla Commercial Fisherman's Association, Panacea bait-and-tackle shop owner Ronald Fred Crum and county mullet fishermen Jonas Porter and Keith Ward, who sued FWC in 2011. They argued during a two-day hearing last year the mesh size of nets the agency forces them to use kills too many baby fish and violates the very constitutional amendment its rules are meant to protect.

Crum expected FWC to appeal, but he wishes the two sides could settle and work together to fix the inconsistencies between the agency’s rules and the constitutional amendment.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Rhettley wrote:I've never spoken to Mr. Crum in person so I don't really understand his reasoning for this but he is one of the major parties suing the state over the net ban. He won't be getting my support.
They are suing to change the wording of the net ban, not to do away with it completely. They are currently being forced to use a mesh size that cannot gil a mullet because it's too small, which is exactly what the law was intended to do. The unintended consequence is that smaller fish, including juvenile trout, reds, grouper, mackerel, etc., along with smaller bait size fish such as pinfish, squirrelfish, lizard fish, ladyfish, etc. are gilling themselves in the smaller mesh. Since there's no commercial market for these fish, they get thrown back into the water (dead). Before the net ban, the mesh size was large enough to allow these fish to swim through un-harmed.
So the law has basically made it more difficult for commercial fisherman to catch mullet, because the mullet don't get gilled and are free to jump out of the net, but has increased the amount of by-catch being killed.
I'm all for limits and regulations on commercial fisherman to protect our natural resources, but the net ban is an example of an environmental law that was not thought all the way through. It needs to be amended.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

red_yakker wrote:
Rhettley wrote:I've never spoken to Mr. Crum in person so I don't really understand his reasoning for this but he is one of the major parties suing the state over the net ban. He won't be getting my support.
They are suing to change the wording of the net ban, not to do away with it completely. They are currently being forced to use a mesh size that cannot gil a mullet because it's too small, which is exactly what the law was intended to do. The unintended consequence is that smaller fish, including juvenile trout, reds, grouper, mackerel, etc., along with smaller bait size fish such as pinfish, squirrelfish, lizard fish, ladyfish, etc. are gilling themselves in the smaller mesh. Since there's no commercial market for these fish, they get thrown back into the water (dead). Before the net ban, the mesh size was large enough to allow these fish to swim through un-harmed.
So the law has basically made it more difficult for commercial fisherman to catch mullet, because the mullet don't get gilled and are free to jump out of the net, but has increased the amount of by-catch being killed.
I'm all for limits and regulations on commercial fisherman to protect our natural resources, but the net ban is an example of an environmental law that was not thought all the way through. It needs to be amended.
You hit the nail square on the head red :thumbup: :thumbup:

M apologies Rob, everyone :oops: I tend ta get fired up when comes to folks bashing Ronald Fred and the net controversy in general :-D :beer:
Last edited by wevans on October 26th, 2013, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Bigger mesh will still gill fish, only bigger fish. I'm curious to know from the folks that fished in the 80's and early 90's before the ban. Was the inshore fishing as poor as my buddies tell me it was? They say it was pretty rare to catch a good red and the trout were much less plentiful. Now with the net ban in place for 20 years, the redfish limit has been increased from one to two and now the commercial trout limits have been increased. I can't imagine that is all coincidence. And weavens, it isn't nice to call folks idiots :) . I spend a ton of money in Crums. Usually 20-30 gal non ethanol fuel, 4 buckets of ice, tackle and whatever I forgot to get in town. I have no problem boycotting a store that helps take fish away from the recreational angler and gives it to commercial fisherman for profit.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

And the old nets did not allow game fish to swim free. They were getting large amounts of by catch, that is why the law was written in he first place.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

This thread was intended to highlight a good deed done by a local business for a local school. I'm pretty sure there is a net ban thread around here somewhere. If not start one.... :smt011
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

robbankston wrote:This thread was intended to highlight a good deed done by a local business for a local school. I'm pretty sure there is a net ban thread around here somewhere. If not start one.... :smt011
:stupid_1 :thumbup: salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Let me help bring it on back around, Mr. Crum and his whole family do A LOT for Wakulla County. Just this month they outfitted all of the Wounded Warriors that came to Wakulla for some R&R. There are untold numbers of folks that he has helped behind the seens. Glad you got to see the type of man the world needs more of....
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."