Need boat buying advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Need boat buying advice

Post by Rhettley »

You need to do a google search for bay boats and then click on the images link. You can see 100's of styles. Go to the local marinas and boat ramps and ask questions when you see a boat you like. Go to all the boat dealers around and see what they have in new and used. Search Craigslist and all the fishing forum classifieds. You just missed a nice Cobia on this site.
The Carolina Skiffs are inexpensive, highly adaptable, but the flat bottoms make for a rough ride. They have a SeaChaser line that is a entry level boat but you get a lot for what you pay. I have the 1950RG with a 150 Suzuki. It's not the prettiest boat but it is comfortable, safe, dry, and floats in about 14" and on a good day I'd take it out offshore fishing with no worries. The nicer more expensive boats will be prettier and have a better fit and finish and more bells and whistles. Spend some time looking and educating yourself before you buy. Look at as many styles as you can, read up, and ride in them if possible.
Thom

Post by Thom »

The more research I do, the more overwhelming the choices are... As someone mentioned earlier, maybe the boat will just find me. How did y'all make your final decision on the boat you own?
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

I KNEW I wanted to get an all welded boat - NO question. Researched them for ever and looked at a lot. Really liked the SeaArks but with the money I had to spend, prices were more than I could spend. Ended up with a G3 1652, then a G3 1756, then a G3 1966 and all the while I searched Craigslist for a LONG LONG time - years actually and then there she was, 2007 SeaArk 1872 Center Console. The rest is history and I've done a complete makeover including fabrication, paint, Linex, Bimini and electronics. Concerning all welded boats, SeaArk Boats are tanks and after crawling all over mine, cutting into it etc., I KNOW how well they are built.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

I recommend looking at some used Action Craft boats. A buddy of mine has had one for years and loves it. His is an 18ft with a 115 Mercury. They kinda fill the void between a true skinny water flats boat and a traditional bay boat. Everyone on here is correct. The waters that you want to fish can get nasty in a hurry. I used to have a 1756 G3 and wouldn't even consider crossing the bay from Carrabelle to Dog or St. George Island if there was anything greater than a 15kt wind. I then moved to a 201 Back Country Pro-Guide which made that trip much more doable. It allowed me to broaden my horizon. The extra 3ft of length combined with the fiberglass hull made a world of difference in chop.

I think a used 20ft Action Craft would be affordable and make you very happy. Now you have another boat to consider! :-D
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Badbagger wrote:I KNEW I wanted to get an all welded boat - NO question. Researched them for ever and looked at a lot. Really liked the SeaArks but with the money I had to spend, prices were more than I could spend. Ended up with a G3 1652, then a G3 1756, then a G3 1966 and all the while I searched Craigslist for a LONG LONG time - years actually and then there she was, 2007 SeaArk 1872 Center Console. The rest is history and I've done a complete makeover including fabrication, paint, Linex, Bimini and electronics. Concerning all welded boats, SeaArk Boats are tanks and after crawling all over mine, cutting into it etc., I KNOW how well they are built.
You are correct, they are built a lot more solid than a G3, SeaArk that is. I have an 05 20 ft. G3 with 115 Yamaha and it is a great fishing platform at rest. It will float in a few inches of water and will take off while very shallow. Other than that I can't say much for them except that I will never invest another dime of my money in one. I have seen to many of the G3 boats that need wielding and reinforcement all over the hull especially in the transom, floor/ribs and just about any other place you could imagine. Like I stated in another post, the service dept. at G3 informed me that they were not designed for rough water use. The problem is they would not tell me exactly what conditions were acceptable. Any way good luck with the SeaArk, It is a good looking rig.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

reelbad wrote:
Badbagger wrote:I KNEW I wanted to get an all welded boat - NO question. Researched them for ever and looked at a lot. Really liked the SeaArks but with the money I had to spend, prices were more than I could spend. Ended up with a G3 1652, then a G3 1756, then a G3 1966 and all the while I searched Craigslist for a LONG LONG time - years actually and then there she was, 2007 SeaArk 1872 Center Console. The rest is history and I've done a complete makeover including fabrication, paint, Linex, Bimini and electronics. Concerning all welded boats, SeaArk Boats are tanks and after crawling all over mine, cutting into it etc., I KNOW how well they are built.
You are correct, they are built a lot more solid than a G3, SeaArk that is. I have an 05 20 ft. G3 with 115 Yamaha and it is a great fishing platform at rest. It will float in a few inches of water and will take off while very shallow. Other than that I can't say much for them except that I will never invest another dime of my money in one. I have seen to many of the G3 boats that need wielding and reinforcement all over the hull especially in the transom, floor/ribs and just about any other place you could imagine. Like I stated in another post, the service dept. at G3 informed me that they were not designed for rough water use. The problem is they would not tell me exactly what conditions were acceptable. Any way good luck with the SeaArk, It is a good looking rig.
I completely agree about the G3. Perfect river and lake boat, and also very good boat if you want to hug the shoreline in rocky areas. The waters over by Aucilla/Ecky and the like are very shallow and stay that way quite bit out. The chop can get bad in these areas but nothing like what you would encounter to the West. I went through 3 G3 hulls in 4 years. Their customer service dept. was pretty much speechless on my third call, but literally replaced all 3 hulls for free. The boat was a 2005 when I bought it and a 2008 when I sold it. :smt005 Plus I got the added storage that came with the 08. I can't say too many bad things about their customer service based off of this experience, but I can tell you that they crack.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Agreed on all accounts and they will BEAT you to DEATH :smt009 - I put 12 x 12 Lenco Tabs on my SeaArk after a LOT LOT of reading and speaking with their engineers and owners and Ken at Propgods. Between those and a 4 blade prop, I'll be good to go.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thom, you might look into roll gunnel bay boats as 'economical' option. Around here you can find Kenner, Sea Chaser (by Carolina Skiff), and others.

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Thom

Post by Thom »

Has anyone worked with the "Ugly Boat" folks before? It appears they are now building Pangas.
bman

Post by bman »

The Pangas are awesome... at least one member here has one and I've been in rough seas with him.
He was caught in a bad storm and made it through.

My only negative comment is they are narrow. I like the bigger fishing platform of my bay boat- a 22 foot Blazer bay.
But the panga is a fishing machine and will run fast with a lot lower horse power motor.

There is no perfect boat. At times my aluminum john boat is the best rig...
there are days my bay boat is not big enough.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I had a 19/7 KW Bay/Reef for 10 years. Last year I went to the KW 19/7 SKIFF. Set it up with an Atlas jack plate, Lenco Trim Tabs, and I love it. It gets me as shallow as I need to go in the FL Panhandle waters that I fish from Apalachicola to Panama City. I have fore and aft pedestal seats and a casting deck on the back. It's been a great fishing boat, and has a 30 gal fuel tank and a gas sipping 90 HP Suzuki so has plenty of range. I went all over checking out the popular aluminum fishing boats and settled on the skiff because it had more room, more storage, and had plenty of free-board to keep the grandsons safe when taking them.
OD

RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Whatever boat you decide to go with, I suggest buying used. Some guys will completely disagree for various reasons, but you will get A LOT more boat for your money. You can find some great deals on used boats, including Action Crafts, Hewes, Pathfinders, etc...all versatile, well built boats. Do the Craigslist thing and you'll find lots of options.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Yes, Ugly Boat manufacturer is in Perry, Fl; 55 miles SW of Tallahassee. I believe they have 18-20' models at this time. Very similar to May Craft or C-hawk. Not quite a Panga style,

Panga "style boats" are built by 2-3 manufactures.

Good luck, fishing is good & about to get better!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Old Dog, did you climb a tree to take that 3rd picture? Ha!! Nice boat.
Team Jolly Mon
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Nice setup !!