Aluminum Boat Question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Aluminum Boat Question

Post by Flint River Pirate »

You guys know me, I love an aluminum boat. I have been fishing from aluminum boats my whole life. I have had fiberglass and I like them, but I have always loved aluminum. I was at Lake Lanier this weekend and had my Xpress behind my truck at the gas station. A local guy came up and wanted to look at my boat. He said the he always wanted an Xpress but the local Carolina Skiff dealer told him that no aluminum boats can be used in saltwater. He said he was going to have to "settle" on a CS. I told him that it sounds like a dealer was trying to sell a boat because I have always fished 3-4 times a month in saltwater with aluminum boats and I have never had an issue. What are your thoughts?
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Aluminum Boat Question

Post by MudDucker »

You have to take care if you fish aluminum boats in saltwater. I learned first hand that if saltwater corrosion of the wiring causes a serious ground to the hull, it can ruin the hull through electrolysis. Also, the galvanic action if different metals are exposed to aluminum are magnified by saltwater. Having said that, I used a fisher marine in saltwater almost exclusively for over 10 years before having any issues. However, I found a car wash and cleaned the boat soon after every outing with soap and water.

I do think that fiberglass boats are easier and quieter, but most cs's are just too danged bouncy and wet for my taste.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Oppps doubled down.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

I agree with you MD, you need to clean it after every use but I did that with fiberglass boats too. I went to aluminum boats in 2006 for saltwater and I have never had an issue. With that being said...I am OCD on cleaning and maintenance of my boats.
Team Jolly Mon
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE A STARCRAFT, MADE BY FORD MTR. CO., IT IS A 1985 MODEL. I USE THIS BOAT MAINLY IN SALT WATER AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I ALWAYS WASH MY BOAT AND MOTOR DOWN IN A FRESH WATER LAKE, POND, OR RIVER BY BACKING DOWN INTO THE WATER ENOUGH TO COVER MY TRAILER, LET IS SIT LONG ENOUGH TO RUN THE GAS OUT OF THE MOTOR AND COVER THE TRAILER ABOVE WHERE IT WAS IN THE SALT WATER. I MIGHT ADD THAT WHEN I GOT HE BOAT I GAVE IT 2 HEAVY COATS OF MARINE PAINT AND HAVE PAINTED IT ONE MORE TIME ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO. LIKE OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED, WHEN I CHARGE MY BATTERY I TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOAT, VERY SELDOM HAVE TO CHARGE IT AS I PULL THE BOAT OUT OF THE GARAGE ABOUT EVERY OTHER WEEK AND RUN IT ON THE HOSE, THIS KEEPS THE BAT. CHARGED UP. I HAD TO REPLACE THE BATTERY THIS PAST YEAR, THE OLD ONE WAS 8 YRS. OLD. BEFORE TWO YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD MY HEART ATTACK, I GENERALLY WENT TO THE GULF AT LEAST ONE TIME AWEEK AND MOSTLY RAN TO THE GULF SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If my only choices were an aluminum boat or a Carolina Skiff, I would choose the tin boat. C.S. is the wettest riding boat I have ever been in. It severely limits the days I can get out. Some day I will get rid of mine and get into something else....anything else.
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

We have a lowes 14 jonboat that we have used for ten yrs with no issues. Some metal boats might have problems but if you have a xpress then you good. They are the Cadillac of metal boats and will take a pounding. They make a tough rig.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

I just looked at xpress website. Them boats are made for saltwater cuz! I've seen a pile of them in LA chasing red. There's a dealer down in Perry and I might pay them a visit soon. How ya liking yours?
GEAUX TIGERS!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Natureboy wrote:I just looked at xpress website. Them boats are made for saltwater cuz! I've seen a pile of them in LA chasing red. There's a dealer down in Perry and I might pay them a visit soon. How ya liking yours?
You are absolutely right and I love mine!
Team Jolly Mon