Keaton Beach Marina

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

Re: Keaton Beach Marina

Post by Ifishtoo »

Doubt the Hag folks care too much about chat on a forum. As long as they have full up rentals during nice weather, they're happy. They are totally hands on owner/operators..... always around, always working on something..... to make another dollar.

When they can't make a dollar doing something, they will find/start something else. Time will tell if the Keaton Bch Marina deal works out, with both Foley & Charlie (Sea Hag) happy.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck, hard aground, & trying to catch a ride. :lol:
Last edited by Ifishtoo on May 1st, 2014, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slayer

Post by slayer »

Sun Daze wrote:I paid $250 per month to keep my camper there. Not sure what the spots right at the docks went for I was told the most expensive was $350 but will not swear by that. I do know this for a fact, some lots were going to be $1500 per month. I counted over 25 RVs (permanent) and when I was there a few weeks ago, there was 2. Also, when I went to stay in my camper, I didn't have to pay dockage fees, nor did anyone who rented a motel room or cabin. Now they do charge. I understand the need to be profitable as I am a business owner too, but the way they are doing it, it don't like.

I see it this way about the permanent campers, 25x250=6250. That covers quite a bit of overhead and they aren't getting that income and are trying to offset it via HUGE price increases. I spend a lot of time down at KB, but doubt I will be spending the kind of money I used to spend at the marina anymore. There is only one gal there that I have seen, that was there when Jerry had the marina.

I've stayed in the Hatch and was never impressed with the lack of personal interaction at the Hag, so I tried to use the other marinas there that were more personable and cordial. I think the owner (never met him/her) of the Hag, so I don't have an axe to grind with them, need to rethink a few things about what they're doing at KBM. What works at the Hag in Hatch, doesn't necessarily work at KBM. I used to be able to pull up to the lift, and they knew who I was.. I ran a tab all weekend and paid the bill when we left. Now, they want my CC# on file before I could do that the last time I was there. Sorry, I'm not giving ANYONE my CC info for them to keep a hard copy of. Another thing, coffee used to be free, they just had a contribution jar and I always put some cash in it, now everyone pays. To me, some of the things the new people are doing just doesn't coincide with the small town atmosphere that draws me to KB.

I seriously hope the powers that be at the Hag read this stuff and take it to heart and make some changes. If not, there are other places to get bait, ice, beer or whatever I may need.

This was the point to my earlier rant....I would show up, be it for a weekend or a week...never leave Keaton Beach...Donna would always tally up my bill at the end of the trip and it was a done deal....I always enjoyed meeting the people on the porch of the Marina and the many faces, new and old, hanging around the campground....from that to empty rooms and camping spots just seems as an odd way to conduct a profitable business......every empty room or camping spot leads to increased prices for everything else....I was there 2 1/2 days and I spoke to one guy that was staying with a small group in the upstairs cottage, and they were leaving early....yes boats were using the lift, but the motel and cottage parking lot was empty, no campers seen , no boats at the dock.......but the grass between the back of the Marina and the canal sure looked good(my attempt at finding a positive)...

As far as the peeps at Sea Hag reading this stuff....I dont think it really matters, I tried to steer them over this way just to show them that it wasnt just one persons opinion......but since they get to look out across empty parking and camping spots now, I'm pretty sure they know something isnt just quite right, and they havent been able to put their finger on it juuuuuust yet
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Ifishtoo wrote:Doubt the Hag folks care too much about chat on a forum. As long as they have full up rentals during nice weather, they're happy.

They better care!!! At least what's on this or any other FISHING forum! If this was a dirt bike racing forum I doubt they'd give a rats azz, but this is a forum that A LOT of people who fish that area read, and respect.

As far as full rentals.... They haven't had that since they took over.... Almost immediately people like me pulled their RVs out of there over the Hags MASSIVE price increases. The campground nor boat docks have been full at any point I've been there in the last 4-5 months.

I'll say it again, at a very minimum the revenue generated from the permanent RVs was over $6K per month and that is a VERY conservative estimate. That doesn't even consider the extra revenue all of us RV owners spent at the marina, which isn't being spent there anymore. But, if the Hag owners don't care what those of us, who have patronized the KBM for many many many years, have to say, I guess they won't care that we are spending our money elsewhere!!!!
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

The Best Value Inn may not be the nicest hotel in town, but it was refurbished a few years ago, and is quite a bit nicer than it used to be. Whether or not you'd wanna stay there with your wife depends on what you're used to. We do have a new Holiday Inn Express, and the Hampton Inn in Perry is top-notch. Don't let one bad experience stop you from wanting to stay in Perry. We are not all a bunch of battery thieving thugs, I swear ;)
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:If you didn't know Shorty and Ms. Thelma, you are a new comer. At least now, Shorty is not out back digging a new open cesspool when the drains clog up. :smt012

The prices seem steep, but only the market will tell. I used to stay in Perry whenever the rooms were full at Keaton and I woke up one morning to find my battery stolen with the cables cut and another morning to find someone had tried to remove my seats off of my pedestals. So, all might not be rosy in Perry.

And just think, I gave Shorty the devil about charging $30 a night for those dump rooms. :smt005

I know this is off the subject, but you mentioned Shorty. Him and Miss Thelma were originally from Thomasville, his old home right across the road from me. Those two had a Truck Stop here, and I could tell you some wild stories. Let me just say that I am surprised Him and Thelma lived as long as they have/did.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:If you didn't know Shorty and Ms. Thelma, you are a new comer. At least now, Shorty is not out back digging a new open cesspool when the drains clog up. :smt012

The prices seem steep, but only the market will tell. I used to stay in Perry whenever the rooms were full at Keaton and I woke up one morning to find my battery stolen with the cables cut and another morning to find someone had tried to remove my seats off of my pedestals. So, all might not be rosy in Perry.

And just think, I gave Shorty the devil about charging $30 a night for those dump rooms. :smt005

I know this is off the subject, but you mentioned Shorty. Him and Miss Thelma were originally from Thomasville, his old home right across the road from me. Those two had a Truck Stop here, and I could tell you some wild stories. Let me just say that I am surprised Him and Thelma lived as long as they have/did.

Dubble :thumbup:
Yea, I got to know those two pretty well. Thelma told me some stories about that truck stop. Said she was glad to be in Keaton because there were fewer people for Shorty to get into a feud with, although he managed to have an ongoing one with the bar owner next door. Shorty was tough as a lighter knot and well pickled. Ms. Thelma always looked worn out. :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

It's been a while (about a year) since I have been to Keaton but if those rooms have not been cleaned or updated I will not be going back to stay. When I went last I took my ten year old son and we stayed in the room over the marina and my sons foot went through the floor in a rotten spot between the living area and the bath room. The time before that I stayed in one of the motel rooms and there was one wall covered in mildew. Very Heavy mildew. The bed had a spring sticking out of the side. Don't get me wrong, I am not used to staying in palaces. I stay at shell island fish camp a lot. If they want to increase room prices that much they better make serious improvements.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Grurrrr !!!! :smt005
The Fish

Post by The Fish »

Been trading at KBM for many years. Don't intend to spend another$1 there much less $300-$400 on gas/bait /beer/ lift etc. Can rebuild my trailer every other year. The conditions at KB are a lot different than SH. You never have trouble getting to the Gulf because of the river. Have sat many hours waiting on water to come in that stinking-ass canal. There is the difference between KB and SH. This causes a different kind of cliental to want to go to KB. More fishermen and fisherwomen at KB. Don't see $750,000 motorhomes lining up the camp ground to sit and smell the canal.

I do appreciate the inventory, but the prices, rules and attitude are what's turning me away. Not Lynn :D -She is the BEST employee of all, always so helpful and pleasant.
Only time will tell.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

I personally have lost nothing if I never fish Keaton again. If I drive that far definitely going to Steinhatchee, much better fishing and more options. I never stayed at the Hag either. Your regulars and locals are most important in the fishing industry, they keep you going in tough times. Out of towers and tournament fishermen are their and could careless how they leave the place and May or may not come back. Word of mouth is the only way in this business, I am sorry to see that this business has started on the wrong foot. With the price of gas and terrible regulations, you can not afford to go to a place trying to take advantage of your wallet. I had a friend get forced out due to these outlandish price increases and thank God The Lord blessed his family with a condo in a better location on the water, with 2 huge boat slips for half what the lot rent/fees would cost to keep his spot of many years on the canal. They are much closer their fishing holes too!
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Afraids condos will be in the future there!