Scalloping reports???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping reports???

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Where are all the reports? Lots of people have to have tried this early weekend. What I have gleaned so far from friends is thin amounts at Lanark and fair amount at Keaton. Who all went and what did you find? :-D Were going somewhere on the 4th.
Teachers Pet

Re: Scalloping reports???

Post by Teachers Pet »

Just got home this afternoon. Plenty of scallops at Keaton, BIG Grassy. 10 gallon limit on Saturday with 2 first timers onboard took about 5 hrs. The wife and I took 4 gallon limits on Sunday and Monday. Trout were fairly cooperative north 4-5ft on pin fish under popping cork.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Sweet. That's great news. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for posting. :-D I will be at Keaton for the 4th with my family.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

An email response FWC sent me:

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI) will not have finalized data on the 2014 scallop population counts until mid-July at the earliest. We're moving away from reporting the data in terms of average numbers for each location in favor of open and closed harvest area graphs that will depict long-term trends in the local scallop populations surveyed. This new format will better illustrate the seasonal fluctuations in scallop populations and will hopefully be more user-friendly for recreational harvesters. The Bay Scallop Season and Abundance Survey is located at http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/
Scallop and Survey questions can be addressed to BayScallops@MyFWC.com

The waters in the St. Marks and Steinhatchee areas are still stirred up so I'd recommend St. Joe Bay or Crystal River!

Hope this information helps. Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Everything I've heard is that you should be able to get a limit pretty quick just outside of the Big Grassy bird rack in about 7 feet of water. That's kind of a long trip for my little boat, so I don't have a first-hand report.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Teachers Pet

Post by Teachers Pet »

We never scalloped in water deeper than 5' and did very well. During the morning low tide on Monday the scallops were almost too shallow. The water was a little cloudy in 7'.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

I am hearing there are scallops in deep water at St. Marks, can anyone confirm?
Nate

Post by Nate »

I went to Lanark yesterday with a couple friends and their is very little scallops there or at least all the places we went to. We where their from about 10-3:30 and only got about 40. We tried various water depths with very little results.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I went to Lanark yesterday with a couple friends and their is very little scallops there or at least all the places we went to. We where their from about 10-3:30 and only got about 40. We tried various water depths with very little results.
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Went to Hogens cove waded out what seemed to be two miles but probably closer to one and found a few (25)scallops. We were about 300 yards from the boats and the guys I talked to said their were tons out where they were. We got their late and it was high tide so we just couldn't get out their. Barefoot and no floatation makes it difficult to travel much past chin deep. I am going to get some flippers today and take some pvc pipe and build a float for a small styrafoam cooler. Water was clear and talked to a few guys who caught a nice red. A storm started to build and we had to get out just as the tide turned. If the weather clears heading to SGI today to see if the pompano are still their. If you are part of the trash that was at Hogens cove yesterday would it kill you to pickup your trash? We are all in this together. One lady (and I use that word loosely) pulled up looked out the window through out a Mc Donalds cup and drove off. I would support a shoot on site law for people like that. :smt011 It was nasty trash everywhere.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Hiljun wrote:Went to Hogens cove waded out what seemed to be two miles but probably closer to one and found a few (25)scallops. We were about 300 yards from the boats and the guys I talked to said their were tons out where they were. We got their late and it was high tide so we just couldn't get out their. Barefoot and no floatation makes it difficult to travel much past chin deep. I am going to get some flippers today and take some pvc pipe and build a float for a small styrafoam cooler. Water was clear and talked to a few guys who caught a nice red. A storm started to build and we had to get out just as the tide turned. If the weather clears heading to SGI today to see if the pompano are still their. If you are part of the trash that was at Hogens cove yesterday would it kill you to pickup your trash? We are all in this together. One lady (and I use that word loosely) pulled up looked out the window through out a Mc Donalds cup and drove off. I would support a shoot on site law for people like that. :smt011 It was nasty trash everywhere.
Put a large washtub in a truck tire innertube, set your cooler in that. We used to flounder gig this way, with the cooler and battery in the tub. Dont forget your dive flag and tether the tube to you with a long rope. A small anchor would not be a bad idea either. That way you can swim untethered.
bman

Post by bman »

Ive heard several good reports from Lanark in shallow.

Anyone gone to St Joe?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bman wrote:Ive heard several good reports from Lanark in shallow.

Anyone gone to St Joe?
Had some friends hat went to Lanark yesterday. 4 scallopers found 2 dozen in 6 hours :thumbdown:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Where is Hogens Cove?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Redbelly wrote:Where is Hogens Cove?
My bad its Hagens cove. On the way to Keaton turn left before the marine to stay on beach Rd and go till ya see the sign.