4th of July fishing/scalloping at Keaton beach

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

4th of July fishing/scalloping at Keaton beach

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

We were going to scallop last weekend but with no real good reports of seeing any. My wife, son and I decided that the 4th we were going. My son invited a friend of his to come with us. So at 4:45am we rolled out of the yard. We were about the 6th truck at the ramp. Got launched and headed out to an ominous looking sky. Image. But at the end of the canal the sun was peaking through the clouds. It looked clearer north so we headed that way to fish. Image. The fish were ....not real cooperative. But we did catch a few. Image. Image. I thought I really had something good when I hooked the short cobia. Around 9:15 we decided to get in the water and look for some scallops. Image. Image. It started out a light chop but got slick calm later. There was a ton of boats out there today but as usual we found ours a good ways away from the flotilla. Image. We spent a good while in the water and only moved once about 200 yards. Who really wants to limit in 30 minutes? What's the fun in that? Image. After getting our limit we moved out to deeper water to clean them. Shucked our 4 pints and packed up to head in. Since we were there early and did not have to park a mile down the road, we got loaded after about 5 minutes wait. Image. I was all happy having spent a great day with my family and heading home. When..................BOOM!!! And this is the result. Image. I had not even got off the side of the road good, when 2 different trucks from Cairo stopped to offer help. I told them thanks for the offer, but I had it handled. And got to work. Of course my wife had to take a picture. Image. Still a great day on the water. Thanks guys again for offering to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leesburgga

Re: 4th of July fishing/scalloping at Keaton beach

Post by leesburgga »

Nice report and glad you got both fish and scallop. Hate that about the tire. Had that happen to me twice in the same year-no fun. Good to know there are still those willing to stop and help.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Can't beat them Grady County folks! Good Report
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Those Georgia folks know how to be HUMAN!

Thanks for the good report and pictures.

What about the lift fee, is it still the same or did they go up? I'm debating if I want to use the lift if they go up.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Get'n it done! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
topdaddy

Post by topdaddy »

Looks like Keaton is the place to go! Great day , except for the tire! What brand of tire was that anyway?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

leesburgga wrote:Nice report and glad you got both fish and scallop. Hate that about the tire. Had that happen to me twice in the same year-no fun. Good to know there are still those willing to stop and help.
That's for sure. And I help anyone I can and wont accept any payment if offered.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

CairoTrout wrote:Can't beat them Grady County folks! Good Report
Yep :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

SS-342 wrote:Those Georgia folks know how to be HUMAN!

Thanks for the good report and pictures.

What about the lift fee, is it still the same or did they go up? I'm debating if I want to use the lift if they go up.
Thanks. Don't know about the lift, I don't use it. I have always used the public ramp. But I did go in the marina just to look. They have a lot of stuff albeit expensive. Did not hear any of the staff ask anyone how they did.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Looks like a great time! Well except for the blow out. Just a FYI, I went from the east flats (rock garden) almost to Aucilla on the 4th. Water is gin clear. Lots of pinfish. ZERO scallops.(at least we saw none)
On the incoming afternoon tide we got 9 keeper trout, 2 over slot, in 3 ft of water. Saw some reds, no hook up.
May go back today. :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

topdaddy wrote:Looks like Keaton is the place to go! Great day , except for the tire! What brand of tire was that anyway?
Water was clear and scallops were around. We had a great time.. the tire was a HI RUN. Gonna get a TOWMAX to match the other one.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Glad you were able to find some fish and scallops. Had the same experience with a trailer tire a week ago. Nothing like changing a tire in long grass in 90+ degree heat in S. GA.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Thanks for the report. All you can do with the tire deal is be prepared and deal with it. Sounds like what you did and took it in stride. Good Cairo folks. two thumbs up !
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Thanks for a great report---as always !!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Welby wrote:Thanks for the report. All you can do with the tire deal is be prepared and deal with it. Sounds like what you did and took it in stride. Good Cairo folks. two thumbs up !
Yep. You see me smiling.