How big a boat can you launch at Keaton?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

How big a boat can you launch at Keaton?

Post by bbb »

A buddy wants to go scalloping this weekend. He has a 26' pleasure boat with a 250 outboard. Probably drafts 2 foot and needs 4-5 feet of water to float off the trailer. Keaton beach or Steinhatchee?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: How big a boat can you launch at Keaton?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

He should be fine at Keaton. There are some BIG boats there.
Team Jolly Mon
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Flint River Pirate wrote:He should be fine at Keaton. There are some BIG boats there.

I don't think the big boats typically use the ramp...

I've never used the ramp at KB but have seen some people struggle at low tides, the lift should handle it but it can get dry at low tides especially the negative lows to the point I had to wait to get enough water to get off the sling usually more of a winter issue, once you get it in the canal I don't think you would have any issues at 2' draft.

The new county ramp at Steinhatchee has not been an issue so far even at low tide for me although I do have to back much further down the ramp to get the boat to float off the trailer due to my bunk setup. I doubt either would be an issue as long as you are not near low at launch or load.

The ramp at Jena is in the river proper so may even be a little better than the SH ramp at low tide loaded there for the first time last week never unloaded there.

Good luck.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

That boat will be fine at the Keaton ramp. We have put in a boat that size many times down there. I don't trust them dudes at the lift.
GEAUX TIGERS!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I have watched 2 40' plus boats launched from the public ramp. One a shrimp boat and the other a huge Sports Craft. Just be watch the tides, especially where the rock jetty ends into the canal (big rock in middle of canal) and where the canal forks for the Keaton Beach Marina. I launched, scalloped and fished from the big Boston Whaler I used to have, but I have fished those waters for over 40 years.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bbb

Post by bbb »

Thanks I've never launched there and the ramp and canal didn't look too impressive from google earth.
The Fish

Post by The Fish »

FYI
The new management at Keaton Beach Marina closes the boat lift from 12-12:30 for lunch. Anybody ever heard of such