Turn AC off?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timmy0257

Turn AC off?

Post by timmy0257 »

I have been trying to dial in my thermostat to the perfect settings so that I am being as conversative as possible on cost. Folks have told me to turn it way up when I am not home and others have suggested just to turn it up a few degrees. What have you all done that has proven to be most efficient?

Over this summer, I will turn it to 83 when i go to work, 80 when i come home and then as low as 76 at night when Im getting in the sack. It is often comfortable enough for me.

Also, share your experience with a Nest thermostat if you have one.
saltycrab

Re: Turn AC off?

Post by saltycrab »

Man I am glad I don't live with you :-D

Mine is set at 76 when I head to work, and I put it back to 74 when I get home. Sometimes 73. I would like a programmable thermostat, and have read bad reviews on the Nest.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

Im not trying to convince you to live with me, but i will justify my temps with the High E windows and that my house really does not heat up that much, even though the largest windows face east and west.

nevertheless, the temps are pretty comfortable. my wife often says she is cold, but that wouldn't surprise any of you.

my thermostat i have now is programmable, but i do not use that feature. i may not go with a nest thermostat, but one feature that others have which i really like is wifi capability, allowing me to check the temp and change it while i am away.
thanks for that input, saltycrab
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

77 when we go to work and 75 when we get home. Seems it would take more energy to cool the house if the unit was turned off all day long in these hot temps that we have had.

I also agree with SC :-D
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

saltycrab wrote:Man I am glad I don't live with you :-D

Mine is set at 76 when I head to work, and I put it back to 74 when I get home. Sometimes 73. I would like a programmable thermostat, and have read bad reviews on the Nest.
This is what I do also "exact same temps". If your home is insulated well, it will take more to cool it back down than to keep a fairly stable temp "IMO".
In the winter it is set to 68 for sleeping and 72 for daytime comfort :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

Now if you want to go extreme, there is a woman where my wife works that says she just flips the main breaker to the house before she heads to work :smt119
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

saltycrab wrote:Now if you want to go extreme, there is a woman where my wife works that says she just flips the main breaker to the house before she heads to work :smt119
I wouldn't want to eat anything out of her fridge or freezer!! :hammer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

wevans wrote:
saltycrab wrote:Now if you want to go extreme, there is a woman where my wife works that says she just flips the main breaker to the house before she heads to work :smt119
I wouldn't want to eat anything out of her fridge or freezer!! :hammer:
You know for some reason that never even crossed my mind!!! :smt017
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

The AC setting that works in one house will not necessarily work in another house as there are too many variables for a one answer fits all comparison If you have not already done so use the Energy Star settings for maximum cost savings and see how you like the cycle. Try and do this as close to your billing cycle date as possible for cost and comfort comparisons. Employ ceiling fans in conjunction with the AC. Remember a ceiling fan does not deliver results unless a human is in the fan breeze.

Other energy saving tips:

Buy the most efficient ceiling fans you can find. That is CFM delivered vs wattage used.

Install a timer on electric water heater. This may or may not be cost effective depending on up grade cost VS how long you plan on staying in your home. If new construction it is a winner or if you recently moved to this house and plan on staying long term to recover your installation costs.

Check your attic insulation for correct amount and tight fit.

The saving list is long and must be tailored to your specific house. A good source of unbiased free information is: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/. And be prepared to do plenty of reading.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

saltycrab wrote:Man I am glad I don't live with you :-D

Air Conditioning, whats that ?
To maintain those temperatures we have to have our central heating on. :lol:
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

thanks for the feedback, everyone.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

get a nest thermostat. they were good enough for google to buy em.
850-273-8818
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I need a wifi version at the lake and I have been looking into which one. That house is fairly new with plenty of insulating tricks.

In town, my wife keeps it at 74 night and day, unless she feels a perspire coming on and then its 72 until I get home and give her a hard time. Home is well insulated and I put E windows for the west facing windows. In the cooler times, she jacks it up to 77 or 78. I ask her why that isn't comfortable all year round and she gives me THAT look. :o

At the office 77 during day and 82 after hours. It is an old house built in the late 1800's and although I tried to retrofit with insulation, it just is an energy hog.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!