My Ding-A-Ling

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

My Ding-A-Ling

Post by trout fisher »

:-D After years of not having anything very worthwhile to post.....I decided why start now? Well, some of y'all might like it. I've been wanting to build my own cast net boat for a while and lucked up on an old beater of a stick steer bass rig. It's a 14' Fisher Marine Bass Bateau. Not sure of the year as the transom had work at some point and the hull I.D. was long gone. That made it a booger to register but I managed. I'm guessing late 70's, early 80's. I won't bore everyone with ALL the pics and details of the build. Just going to post a few to show progress from beginning to end.
Attachments
2013-02-15_16-17-11_741.jpg
2013-02-15_16-18-10_752.jpg
IMG_20140224_205256_257.jpg
IMG_20140703_175711_644.jpg
IMG_20140720_203033_440.jpg
IMG_20140922_092456_847.jpg
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: My Ding-A-Ling

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice, your ding a ling looks good
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Like the boat. :thumbup: :beer: That shared, opened the post expecting to see a cobia picture. Bet a few others board members will too. :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Very cool!!
Team Jolly Mon
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Nice boat !!! :beer: sux :smt005
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Looks good. Now all you need is to get one of those $2k wrap jobs and you will be representin'! :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Awsome build! I would like to have a polling platform built for my 17 ft express. Would anyone know who could build me one. I would also like a small rod locker built into the boat.
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

I was about to sell my rig. Thanks for the post.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Thanks y'all. Good luck with yours Tennessee. :thumbup:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice retrofit. Looks like it'll be a fun boat. What are your plans for the forward deck and poling platform as far as finish? Carpet, SeaFoam or something similar?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Tennessee wrote:Awsome build! I would like to have a polling platform built for my 17 ft express. Would anyone know who could build me one. I would also like a small rod locker built into the boat.

Metal Fabricators here in Tallahassee could do both for you Tennessee, but unless you wanted to pick them up, shipping costs would be prohibitive. Surely there is a local welding shop that can handle it for you. I'd do a search on here and maybe The Hull Truth for templates to give to them for guidance. I've always favored the largest platform possible. but it depends on your boat's beam and center of gravity. Too high and too narrow and the boat will be very tippy.

As an alternative, many micro-skiff owners are skipping the platform and using a sturdy cooler like a Yeti, Orca, etc. instead. Can be moved around and does double duty. Still offers the height advantage for poling/spotting.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Thanks silverking. I'm actually finished with the boat and have made several trips with her and had a few mullet fry's. I left some pics out of the build. First I treated the front deck, poling platform, and bench seat with white vinegar. A guy that runs a body shop recommended this application before painting aluminum. Then I painted with a Rust-Oleum aluminum paint and while the surface was still wet, I sifted play sand on it out of a Mason jar that I turned into a big shaker. Once dry, instant non-skid surface. It has held up well so far. And it's so inexpensive I can afford to do it as needed.
Attachments
IMG_20140621_162804_535.jpg
IMG_20140621_162744_302.jpg
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That's a great way to handle it. I've done the same on small projects but never a deck.

I tricked out a jon boat years ago by enclosing the bow, adding flooring, etc. I used outdoor carpet at the time to deaden the sound and keep it cooler. Ended up selling that rig to buy a fiberglass skiff, but I still wish I had the jon sometimes to play with amongst the oyster bars.

Cast away! :wink:
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

silverking wrote:
Tennessee wrote:Awsome build! I would like to have a polling platform built for my 17 ft express. Would anyone know who could build me one. I would also like a small rod locker built into the boat.

Metal Fabricators here in Tallahassee could do both for you Tennessee, but unless you wanted to pick them up, shipping costs would be prohibitive. Surely there is a local welding shop that can handle it for you. I'd do a search on here and maybe The Hull Truth for templates to give to them for guidance. I've always favored the largest platform possible. but it depends on your boat's beam and center of gravity. Too high and too narrow and the boat will be very tippy.

As an alternative, many micro-skiff owners are skipping the platform and using a sturdy cooler like a Yeti, Orca, etc. instead. Can be moved around and does double duty. Still offers the height advantage for poling/spotting.
Thanks for info. I will be getting in touch with them. I will be sure to take pics. As I turn this bass/duck boat into an all purpose machine. other two things I am going to add is a power pole, hydrolic jack plate, and I think it will be perfect for my needs.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Where are the Cobia pics?