Carr Lake Management

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Carr Lake Management

Post by Jhults11 »

Hello ladies and gents. I want to get some opinions on what people think of Carr Lake in Tallahassee. Anybody that uses this lake for hunting, fishing, or birdwatching purposes please chime in. After riding around on the lake today I could see it is full of vegetation (pads, coontail, cabomba, etc.) and floating tussock mats. Based on the current hydrological conditions, I don't see this lake supporting a very healthy fish population. Where it lacks in fish productivity, I believe the waterfowl populations would do well based on the amount of available aquatic vegetation. In addition, the amount of aquatic vegetation can make access difficult via outboard propulsion. In yalls honest opinion, how should we manage this lake? Is it fine how it is? Should we treat some of the aquatic vegetation to make for more open access areas for duck decoy spreads and bass and bream fishing? Should we stock grass carp to try and treat some of the vegetation problems? Your input is valuable.
Thanks guys and gals,
-Jordan
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
reelbad

Re: Carr Lake Management

Post by reelbad »

Leave it as is. Probably some of the largest bass ever caught in North Fl. call Carr lake home.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Your asking your question wrong. Most folks know very little about lake management. All lakes should be managed. But for what is the question? Pretending a lake can be managed for trophy fish of multiple species is tough. I vote Carr should be managed for trophy bass, and tranquil, peaceful activities. The less boats the better. Others would vote differently.
mrbigglesworth

Post by mrbigglesworth »

I haven't been out there in a while. But I do have a 12 pounder on my wall out of there. Caught in 2004. When people water skied out there. It had a lot of hydrilla back then and it was not easy to fish but held a lot of monster bass. I haven't been back recently enough to have an opinion now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Thanks guys :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Haven't been out there in a but would love to get back out there, I do have an outboard so would love to be able to ease around the lake and get to the holes. Don't hunt I'm all about fishing:)

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

kenfly wrote:Haven't been out there in a but would love to get back out there, I do have an outboard so would love to be able to ease around the lake and get to the holes. Don't hunt I'm all about fishing:)

Is it only a "no motor" lake during duck season?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
hookedonred

Post by hookedonred »

Reduce the tusseks, and dredge the channel back to the Phipps Pipe by Cattle Gap, there are some great ponds back there that are land locked due to the amount of vegetation growth over time. Just my two cents, but you could increase the area of that lake by a 1/3 if those options are acted on.
bman

Post by bman »

Salty Gator wrote:
kenfly wrote:Haven't been out there in a but would love to get back out there, I do have an outboard so would love to be able to ease around the lake and get to the holes. Don't hunt I'm all about fishing:)

Is it only a "no motor" lake during duck season?

Yes No internal combustion motors during duck season... you can use an electric.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
bman

Post by bman »

Jhults11 wrote:Hello ladies and gents. I want to get some opinions on what people think of Carr Lake in Tallahassee. Anybody that uses this lake for hunting, fishing, or birdwatching purposes please chime in. After riding around on the lake today I could see it is full of vegetation (pads, coontail, cabomba, etc.) and floating tussock mats. Based on the current hydrological conditions, I don't see this lake supporting a very healthy fish population. Where it lacks in fish productivity, I believe the waterfowl populations would do well based on the amount of available aquatic vegetation. In addition, the amount of aquatic vegetation can make access difficult via outboard propulsion. In yalls honest opinion, how should we manage this lake? Is it fine how it is? Should we treat some of the aquatic vegetation to make for more open access areas for duck decoy spreads and bass and bream fishing? Should we stock grass carp to try and treat some of the vegetation problems? Your input is valuable.
Thanks guys and gals,
-Jordan

Tough call- I would think that most of the issues come from floating islands and silt/detritus on the bottom.
Killing vegetation would only add to that right?

I would think to truly rehab the lake it would need to be drained.

That being said the fishing is not bad now- you just have to know how ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Go to the pond in the back right corner. Drag a grape or black grape worm across the lily pads. Lots of gators too.
diamondback

Post by diamondback »

Leave it as is. There is nothing wrong with the fish population there.trust me.i have pics to prove it.Leave the vegetation as is and keep the jet skis and pleasure boaters on Jackson. If anything manage for trophy bass by restricting harvest and length limits. I don't think I even know what the limits currently are since I've never took bass home from there. I wouldn't mind a 10 hp limit tho.

I never hunted there before but plan on trying it out some this year. I've saw some ducks and different water bird and plenty gators there before.