Good days chasing grouse

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Good days chasing grouse

Post by Danibeth »

We had several good days of grouse hunting while I was out west. And we hunted several different areas. They were all of them gorgeous. We had beautiful days and we had wet days that were beautiful up in the snow. Luckily it wasn’t heavy rain that we had on the wet days.

And towards the end of the trip the trees were finally beginning to change color from green to GORGEOUS so that made the snowy landscape even more beautiful.

And there were indeed grouse up that hill

And there was LOTS of food to be found up that hill

of different varieties for the grouse to choose from even

it’s so interesting to me how you can get different color phase grouse, even in the same area

We also hunted some areas near a bunch of apple trees. Emphasis on NEAR. Everytime I’ve grouse hunted out there we never find grouse in the apple trees. I have heard and read lots about how grouse love apples but we find them here

and not here

got me on the why. They were delicious apples. I wish I could’ve brought a suitcase load of the apples home.

But we did well on our walk through the area

And their ruffles are so pretty

When we opened them up though, there wasn’t a single bit of apple in em

But they cooked up so sweetly with a bunch of fresh crisp apples.

We were on an adventure though so we headed for new grounds. On the way over, we watched as they were loading up a grain barge. Looked like to me they needed to add a bit more to the front….or shovel a bit from the back to the front….

In all his time living in WA, Steve said he’d never made it to that area of WA and he sure wishes he had. It was BEAUTIFUL.

And how many people can say they can hunt in an area where you could hunt ruffled grouse in the morning and chukar in the afternoon? And leaving from the same parking lot?

The trees on the way in were just gorgeous

and there were some other beauties who were happy to show off how gorgeous they are

And Steve and him had quite a long conversation

We eventually made it to where we were going to hunt. But what’s an adventure without stopping to enjoy the scenery and see neat critters?

Because you just never know what you’re going to find when you stop

Or this pretty fella sitting in someone’s yard way up high

But hunt we did. And we had another productive hunt

Though I learned that National Forests actually do have fences running through the middle. So, I of course had to show Drake how to go under the fence when I shot a bird that flew across the fence and landed back in some thick stuff that he needed some help with.

But Steve and I did well there and were a little sad we had so little time to explore that area.

But like all ruffled grouses….they were beauties

We were enjoying grouse hunting so much we didn’t even try our hand at chukar but on the way out from grouse hunting I got to see my first flock of big horned sheep. One of the fellas was a hopeful fella, but the girls were having nothing to do with him.

and there were some little ones around

But that big boy was miiiiiighty interested in his ladies

But he just couldn’t get them to hold still for him

We left with good wishes to that big boy ….

Who woulda thunk that grouse hunting could have such diverse critters to watch
Mongo

Re: Good days chasing grouse

Post by Mongo »

Great photos! Thanks!
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

that is a great trip and some one very good with a camera to capture a great store in the pictures
it has been nice to see the hill and valleys of washington again if only in photos
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Thanks y'all.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm not sure how I midssed this thread. Spectacular trip. Beautiful photos. I'm sure that took a while to post, thanks a bunch. That really makes me want to try some upland bird hunting.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Well I can tell ya. As much as I love duck hunting (and my mom and dad call me to try to set up times to get together around my duck hunting schedule as much as we can possibly) I would be an upland bird hunter in a heart beat if there was enough upland bird to chase around these parts. I know where there are a few coveys of quail, but they aren't big. I'm hoping that perhaps this winter we'll have a decent flight of woodcock to chase around.

I love watching a flight of teal come in and light into the decoys. But it's so much fun when you're out chasing upland birds (for where we were in WA it could be quail, grous, huns or pheasants in the exact same draw or canyon so you never know exactly what your dog is on when he gets birdy) and they just EXPLODE out from under you. Sure teaches YOU to be steady to shot, as well as the dog. Cuz if you can't keep composed you'll never hit anything for your dog to retrieve....or very very rarely.

I love it. Truly.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Some wonderful photographs and a very informative narrative, thanks for taking the time to post them.
I find with walked up game birds (as opposed to driven birds), its not only remaining calm so as to hit the birds, its also waiting until they reach a sporting distance from the gun, I have seen quite a few casseroled pheasants shot by over eager guns.
When walking up more open ground, usually short crops like collards, etc., our dogs are trained to work out to 20 yards, in tight cover they work much closer and thats when it gets more difficult.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BRIAN, YA UP KINDA EARLY THIS MORNING, HOPE YA AND THE MISSES HAD A GREAT THANKSGIVING, WE HAD THE WHOLE CLAN HERE AT THE SOUTH FORTY AGAIN THIS YEAR. I DOUBT IF BABE WILL BE ABLE TO DO THE THANKSGIVING GATHERING HERE AT THE SOUTH FORTY AGAIN, SHE AND I ARE IN TROUBLE WITH DOB SYNDROME, (DATE OF BIRTH) SYNDROME.. WE WILL PROBABLY GET TO GETHER AT MY DAUGHTERS HOME IN MACLENNNY, FLA. NEXT YEAR . THERE IS A CHANCE WE COULD ALL MEET DOWN AT THE LAKE IN GRANDIN , IT IS ABOUT EQUAL DISTANCE FROM ALL OF THE CLAN.
GOOD TO SEE YA POSTING AGAIN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Hitting birds too close sure can be a problem. We were working a narrow canyon where we were chasing the quail up the canyon. THey'd scattered pretty good and Drake flushed one....be like an 8 low house on the skeet field. Well Drake found the head and a wing for me of the little quail I shot. Then spent the next ten minutes cleaning up the rest of the quail bits and enjoying a snack. Steve had to allow that he's never, in all the years he's hunted, never seen a bird of any kind just flat out exploded like that. So most definitely hitting birds too close can be a problem
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

awsome :thumbup:
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Professional camera work