Pinfish at St Marks ???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bullet

Pinfish at St Marks ???

Post by Bullet »

It's just about time for the wading guys to infiltrate.

I have a couple of questions about bait.

Is anyone catching pinfish? Have they returned? Is there grass on the flats in front of the lighthouse?

I am not opposed to fishing live shrimp but pinfish is the bait of choice and, of course, variety is the spice of life.

I would appreciate any responses on the bait situation.

Thanks.
Tight lines

Bullet
Nambleman

Re: Pinfish at St Marks ???

Post by Nambleman »

I too prefer some form of baitfish over shrimp. From the reports i've been reading l, the water temps are still a little too cold and the bait are not quite inshore yet. I'm just waiting until I see a few decent reports coming out of the lighthouse area before I give it a shot and bust out the castnet.

Good luck!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

There are pinfish now in the bottom grass in front of the lighthouse. Also, when the tide drops enough, mudminnows are flushed out of the shoreline grass and can be castnetted easily.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I'm sure pinfish are out there but I can tell you after fishing all day I didn't get any pinfish bites from 3-6'.
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Hey Gary, about the mud minnows.....I've never fished them but certainly willing to try, especially if the pins don't cooperate.
So, when the tide is low, you can just go to the shoreline, just out from the grass and chunk the cast net? That's all it takes?
Tight lines

Bullet
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

By the lighthouse, the ideal (low) tide is when there's only an inch or two of water right at the shoreline grass. You can walk along the shoreline, spook bait out of the grass, and net them. I throw 6-7ft nets with 1/2" mesh to get 4-4.5" mudminnows. That size throws just like a topwater plug when freelined.

The canals on Lighthouse Road also hold mudminnows & finger mullet, but you hafta really enjoy getting muddy if you throw a net in there (I do!).