Comments/concerns about shields dry storage?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Comments/concerns about shields dry storage?

Post by procraftwes »

I currently keep my boat with shields in a 30x15 storage shed at an extremely reasonable price(too cheap). This includes use of the ramp. Its been fine but the ramp has been annoying me lately(not really people but lack of parking) so i'm leaning towards dry storage or a wet slip.

A wet slip would be awesome for convenience but horrible on the boat(bottom paint is ugly), bashing up against the docks and i'd be worried about sinking due to rain.

Dry storage is a bit pricey compared to what I'm paying now($50 vs $175 + trailer storage), I'm worried about backup times on busy weekends, not having access to tinker with my boat, diesel soot/forklift soot/ and boats sitting above mine raining muck down. If I do want to take my boat elsewhere I have to have them launch it and then put it on the trailer which would be a pain(stick to st marks mostly though). The perks are obvious plus I'd be able to drive my car down there vs the tow rig.

The Shield family is great and I love the operation the run just looking for insight specifically towards dry storage there.
bman

Re: Comments/concerns about shields dry storage?

Post by bman »

I can't speak directly about Shields. But, I keep my boat at Rock Landing in Panacea and love having my boat in dry storage.
I call up and they put it in the water, put ice in the cooler and fish box and fill it up with gas.
When I come in I hose it off and they flush the engine before putting it away.

The convenience is awesome... I do want to fish other areas and sometimes run to the AGP or Carrabelle marina for a few days.
If I have to trailer it somewhere its not that bad to pull it and go.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Not familiar with Shields, but I can tell you about my only experience with the Panacea marina. A buddy of mine had bought a used 25 foot cuddy cabin boat, and had it dry stored at Rock Landing Marina. He had fished out of there a couple of times. He asked me to go one day, and I got there with his dad before he did. He had called ahead and had them put it in the water. When we arrived, we noticed the boat sitting very low in the water. We quickly went to the office and told them. By the time they got it back to the fork lift loading area, water had already started flowing into the cuddy and had flooded the boat.

Wanna guess what sank it?

NO PLUG!

We had the forethought to run to the local store and grab a disposable camera, and took photos as they lifted it out of the water. Sure enough, the plug hole was streaming water out!

They finally settled and paid off what my buddy owed on the boat.

I am sure policy changed that day, just telling you my experience. This was about 9 years ago.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Pretty familiar with the common pro's/cons' but more concerned specifically about pileups at the dock coming back, Diesel soot, mistakes/delays,etc relating to shields.

Asking around and reading the forums the feedback is mixed and usually I think its on a operation by operation basis.
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

I kept a boat at Panacea Marina from 1997 to 2012. Three different ownerships. They never removed my plug. If I did I put it back. They do what you request.