Flourocarbon?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Skunk

Flourocarbon?

Post by Skunk »

Is there a general consensus on the best brands of mono and flouro leader material? What do you folks use?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Flourocarbon?

Post by dombern34 »

with fluorocarbon I've always used and probably will always use seaguar. to me mono is mono but I've always used Ande mono.

I always use braid to either a mono or fluoro leader. mono floats, so I ONLY use it for top water. and fluoro sinks so it's used everywhere else.

hope that helps.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Thanks. I've always used Ande mono too. Good stuff at a good price. Which kind of Seaguar do you use? They have two or three different types of flouro.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've always used red label. just make sure you put new leader line each trip. you can get a 200 yard spool for about 12 bucks. never had a break off other than something with teeth hitting my lure.
bpac
Site Sponsor

Post by bpac »

Mono- ande all the way.

Flouro- I love red label seagur. Yo Zuri is good too.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I like seagure also. For over 100lb test, I can't get good knots w fluro so I've been using suffix leader material and it ties much better. Grouper don't seem to mind
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I used the red label seaguar also, mainly because it's cheap and I've never had a problem with it. However I think the heaviest it comes in is 20lbs, so heavier I usually buy the cheapest available in this large plastic rings, usually Ande or Berkley.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Ande for monofilament, PowerPro Super Slick 8 for braid and Segaur blue label for fluorocarbon. The blue label is very supple and ties easily.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

What kind of Knot do you use on the heavy Floro say 40 to 60?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I use double uni knots to connect braid to fluorocarbon, a non-slip mono loop knot on all other connections except when a split ring is installed. In that case I use a improved clinch.

For heavier leader, just don't wrap as many times or it gets too unwieldy.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:I use double uni knots to connect braid to fluorocarbon, a non-slip mono loop knot on all other connections except when a split ring is installed. In that case I use a improved clinch.

For heavier leader, just don't wrap as many times or it gets too unwieldy.
I tie the exact 3 knots as Capt Dave. For big braid to big fluro, I will tie a spider hitch to double the braid before tying the double uni. I've never had a problem w not doubling the line on lighter line but have with not doing it on the larger line
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven