Drank the cool-ade

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Drank the cool-ade

Post by Gulf Coast »

Bought my first pair of Costas yesterday....compared to my 30.00 Flying Fishermans I didn't see much difference. I hope I'm blown away when I get on the water ! Well maybe not blown away after the weather last weekend but impressed . Looks like some good weather coming for 7-8 days ?
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: Drank the cool-ade

Post by woopty »

Interested in your review after a trip gulfcoast.
Aways wondered if they provide a superior fishing experience or a superior marketing experience.
Wouldn't want to spend my accordion lessons money on something stupid. :smt009
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Keep in mind Woopty - The definition of a gentleman is somebody who knows how to play the accordion, but refuses to do so. :thumbup: :-D
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I've been wearing them since 2003 and I love Costa. They are the best glasses I have ever worn for reducing glare. I had a pair of Maui Jim's once that I didn't care for and they are supposed to be comparable. You made a good investment for your eyes!
Team Jolly Mon
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Been wearing costas and smiths for over 10 years - I have seen fish that others couldn't see with other brands on.

Though the pair I have now needs the rubber piece replaced - they don't like sunscreen.

Thinking of getting some RCIs next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I bought my first pair about 10 years ago. They are worth the change.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have been wearing Costas since 1989 and have owned several pairs over the years. Not only do they cut the glare so you can see fish (and obstructions in the water), but the optical glass or polymer protects your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays. I only have one set of eyes and it's worth the investment to me to protect them. My current favorites are the 580 polymer copper lens, which are so light you don't hardly know they're on.

By the way, for inshore situations copper or amber lenses are best for contrast and the ability to see into the water. If you want to style add the blue or green mirror, which is an extra layer of coating. For offshore, gray lenses cut the harsh glare and optimize vision in the deep blue.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I've had several pair of costas, and am on my second prescription set of 580p lens. They set me back a big chunk, but I found that any wraparound glasses done in progressive script are expensive.
I think they are good but for the price I can't understand how any of the "top tier" brands are worth the money. My regular glasses have far superior frames and they cost less. Kind of like other products, their ad budget is huge.
I've tried many other brands, and found none are better as a brand and they all are way overpriced, so I would pick your favorite based on fit. Performance is very similar but I will continue to buy one or the other.
Cheap ones don't work well.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Thanks guys...wish I could try them out today. BTW while I was at Academy I ran across a H2O rod med light in a 6'9" on sale for 50.00, had to have it too, I'm ready to hook that thing up.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

What kind of warranty service have you guys had out of Costa? I quit using them about 4 years ago due to several bad experiences with their service.

I sent a pair in to have the rubber ear pieces replaced as Chalk mentioned above. I believe there was a $75 charge. Got them back and within the first week walked into a building downtown removing my sunglasses as I went in. I heard something hit the floor and saw my lense sliding across the ground. Sent them back to Costa for a second time and they wanted to charge me the $75 plus the cost of new lenses. No sense having a warranty if I am going to pay for everything.

I shoved the Costa glasses in a junk drawer at the house and bought some Onno's and some Smith Optics. Very happy with both of those pairs.

- Steve Stinson
Good Tidings

Post by Good Tidings »

I've been wearing Costa's for close to 15 years...Probably had 6-7 pairs during the time. I keep leaving them at places.. :( Anyway, I;ve had VERY good luck with them. Most recently had a pair that the rubber on the ear piece had separated from the frame. The glasses were probably 3 years old and worn a lot! Sent them back to the Factory for service, I figured they would tell me it was normal wear & tear, well....They called me & said it was a factory defect and to pick out any pair I wanted from their stock. The pair that I replaced had 580 green mirror glass, so that is what I replaced. I was VERY pleased. Also, the most recent pair had a hinge that went bad, I paid the shipping fee to the factory. Got my glasses back with a new hinge and they threw in a keeper cord at no charge! If I ever have to Rx glasses, I'll use Costas....
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Have worn Costas (Fathom in 580g amber lense /green mirror) and they were great. Shattered them and Costa wanted 60 to fix. Said nope.

GOT a pair of RCI Optics now (Mosquito Lagoon in shadow brown / sunrise gold) and absolutely love them for the flats. They have a heck of a lineup and have been incredibly durable.

Chalk, you won't be disappointed.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Bluewave

Post by Bluewave »

I sent my Costa's back and they changed the lenses and only charged me $11.00 total for that. I have not had a bad experience yet with them. :smt007
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

for those of you with these great service story... congrats.

how long ago was that?
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I have sent two pair back. Both damaged due to my actions or normal wear and tear. Both times I was charged about $50 and both times they sent me new glasses rather than repairing my old ones.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!