Levy Bay - St. George Island

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Levy Bay - St. George Island

Post by JeffB »

This is my first attempt at a fishing report, I think.
I'm new to kayaking and after advice from some members here I decided to try Levy Bay. So Wednesday morning I put in right at low tide and fished till about 3:00.
I caught the usual ladyfish and catfish and not really many of them. I did catch a small spanish mackeral. I saw fish churning the water and birds convening on the action and that's when I made the decision to throw my brand new Aqua Dream weedless spoon that I had just paid $6.99 for with no wire leader into the mix. Now, I knew better than that but I said to myself I'll just throw it once. Bad decision! You know how you can be reeling back in and all of a sudden the line goes slack and you know that you have just been cut off? Well that's what happened.
Anyway it was a great place to fish, a beautiful day and I enjoyed the fact that I was off work fishing and everybody else was working.
Thursday I went to St. George Island with 2 friends of mine and we put in at the first ramp inside the state park. It was another beautiful day. We had better luck. We caught quite a few 14 to 14 1/2 inch trout. Finally caught a couple of keepers. Also caught a 22 inch redfish, 2 very nice flounder and a black sea bass all of which came home with us to be fried for supper.
Back at work today wishing I was fishing!
Can'tCatchAnything

Re: Levy Bay - St. George Island

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Sounds like a productive few days on the water. Makes me want to cry sick and get out there today. Nice report!
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Nice report and reminder about the leader.... :)

What were you fishing with on Thursday?
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Thursday we fished with live shrimp, white gulp and new penny gulp.
I forgot to add on my original post that we fished from a boat on Thursday.
I have always believed in live bait and still do but I just didn't know about it on the kayak since
it was new to me so I opted not to take any live bait on Wednesday.
I'll rethink that next time although I don't think it would have mattered.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Great report, glad yall caught some. I always carry some frozen shrimp with me when I go, catches baitfish and is very useful for tipping on jigheads to draw more strikes. :-D It will make you catch more catfish and other junk, but the good fish like them, too. Make sure they are fresh shrimp. :roll:
Yours in the South