SGI - 24 May 2015

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Terrier

SGI - 24 May 2015

Post by Terrier »

Tough day at St George - strong east to SE wind kept us in Rattlesnake Cove most of the day. Water there was silty with visibility about 1ft, esp. at low tide. Fished there and near Goose Island from 9:00 to 3:00 and got a 20" red and a short trout, both on olive/chartreuse/tan clousers. Missed a large ladyfish. Some bait in the water - mostly mud minnows. Many of the normal wading areas are still off-limits due to bird nesting.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: SGI - 24 May 2015

Post by DixieReb »

I bet it was tough fly-fishing in the wind, at least you caught something. I took my flyrod out to our little pond yest. eve. before dark and caught 4 fat bluegills, lost another one that got tangled in sticks. First time I used the long rod in about 3 years, felt kinda good. Used a cheap floating popper with rubber legs.
Yours in the South
altmizzle

Post by altmizzle »

Any tips for fly fishing the surf at SGI this time of year? I'm staying on the plantation on the gulf side, close to the cut. Thanks for any help. My brother in law is riding my case for not catching anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

altmizzle wrote:Any tips for fly fishing the surf at SGI this time of year? I'm staying on the plantation on the gulf side, close to the cut. Thanks for any help. My brother in law is riding my case for not catching anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't fished much in the surf - I have caught a few whiting, ladyfish, flounder and a pomp, pretty much all on clousers on a intermediate line. I hear people have luck with trout in the surf the few hours before sunset on white flukes, so try something like that - clouser, deciever or seaducer in white, chart/white, olive/white. If it's calm enough, try a gartside gurgler. The whiting will hit a small yellow or pink fly like a gotcha or a charlie. Good luck!