FAVORITE LURE

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: FAVORITE LURE

Post by silverking »

The ADL/Capt. Mike's spoons work best when slowly cranked in a steady rhythm. If you're ticking the bottom every so often, that's good. It's a probing bait meant to simulate a swimming crab and they're no Mark Spitz. Keep the same cadence, but if a fish strikes and misses, you can speed up slightly to trigger another charge.

I modify all mine by adding a 35-pound test stainless ball-bearing swivel to the original nose ring. That really helps to reduce the line twist. I also use the 3/8-ounce most of the time but switch to 1/4-ounce in the winter to "match the hatch."

Have caught more reds on an ADLs than anything else. They work!
Last edited by silverking on November 2nd, 2015, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Gold flake curly tail/red jighead
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Big fan of the Mirrodine series by Mirrolure. The smallest size in natural green back with the "shatter" pattern...
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

For trout, etc., I usually start out with rods rigged with the Mirrodine, a weightless Fluke (usually Zoom), 1/8 or 1/4 jig head depending on the depth and one will have a Gulp shrimp, the other a ZMan Paddlerz.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

since we moved to favorite lures (plural) guess ill add to my list. behind my topwater, next would be a catch 2000 or mirrodine, but as bad as I hate to say it, the zman plastics have slowly become a staple for me. the paddlerz on a jighead are a solid go to. also since I started using them, I now always throw out a Carolina rig with a 3in shrimp on it and let it drift behind the boat as a "do nothing rig" just either have a live liner reel or loosen the drag up. I use around 2ft of a leader and a 3/0 hook. the shrimp will float and when the lead pulls through some grass it kicks up dust and the shrimp goes down then slowly floats up. that has become a good trout getter for me. next whomever it was that brought aquadream up, if you ever go to the Georgia coast, the pink 1/4oz spoon is the pure T shiznit. throwing into chocolate milk it always catches fish. its nice to see what "magic" lures everyone uses.
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Been a lot of people looking, not too many posting. Guess they're afraid to tell about their secret lure. Lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Topwater - Skitterwalk Trout pattern
Mid - 1/4 oz red swim jig with pearl 5" jerk bait
Bottom - 1/4 oz standup jig with a shrimp DOA or Gulp Pearl or New Penny depending on water color

I'l toss a gold spoon too.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I think it is real interesting that this many accomplished fishermen all have different go to lures. Just shows that a whole lot of it is proper presentation. Also, not being a hard head and figuring out what the fish want. Love those days when my first choice is the fish's first choice too, but a lot of days, I tie on a bunch and never find the right one.

Gyrene, it sounds like you and I have fished together a bunch, even though we have never met. I found a odd little bait one time for spanish, it was a spoon/jig like bait that you could work like a spoon, but when you let it fall, it fluttered. Deadly on Spanish. When they missed the first strike, just let it fall. I still have one left and no idea where I got it or who made it.

Also, my first and favorite on the jig was the paddle tail, white with red swirl that was made here in Tally area-absolutely deadly on the reds and trout. Thought it was called Trout Magic, but I could be wrong. Harrison or Henderson. The guy or his dad was in construction - added on to my clinic. I would love to get those molds and start making those again.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Nate

Post by Nate »

skitter walk/ one knocker
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Rattl'in Redfin or white gulp on 1/4 oz. jighead. Both are deadly.
Yours in the South
deer30084

Post by deer30084 »

AquaDream in chartreuse (sp?). I need to go back to the oyster bar at low tide!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Whatever is still on the rods from the last outing: which is seldom not a one knocker, gold spoon and jig head!
I sleep to the cadence of a one knocker! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

^^^^ this .
I'll add that in my kayak, I have a fourth rod with cork/jighead combo with me.....but I rarely use it.

90% of the time I am throwing a spook Jr, or one knocker. Bone.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

anybody ever tried the Vudu Egret Magic Mullet? The action on the video is the most realistic Ive ever seen! Just picked up a couple but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Love to know if somebody out there has fished it.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I got some of those lures too but haven't tried em it should be right time to do it.