Inshore/Offshore boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Skunk

Re: Inshore/Offshore boat

Post by Skunk »

Checkout a Tideline. Looks like a great compromise. Drafts 14", but if it's like any other cat I've been on, it'll eat 3 - 4 foot chop for breakfast.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Jhults11 wrote:I have to agree with SaltyGator. Iv been in several bay boats. In regards to a pathfinder, they are the best riding and dryest bay boat out there. They will absolutely own 2 foot chop for breakfast. In addition, they have a shallow draft, tons of space, and a lot of storage. With that said, they'll also cost ya a pretty penny. Iv only been on one panga, but from what I can remember, they are very wet and tippy boats. Also, a major downside to the panga is the minimal storage. We had to put the dam anchor in a milk crate carton (no anchor locker). With that said, im sure they cost far less than a pathfinder or other high end bay boats. A few other quality bay boats Iv been on and would recommend would be the scout, sailfish, nauticatar, and lake and bay. Good luck with your purchase! :thumbup:
Agree. Panga design was developed for third world beach launch fishermen who needed plain and simple and low hp requirement.
Every boat a compromise.
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

BBG might argue my point, but my experience is, since a panga has a flat-bottom hull, that it is white-knuckle time in 2-4' sea. Just because it has a swept-up bow doesn't make it all that resilient off-shore. Just sayin that pangas, while great little boats, are as not as seaworthy as people seem to think.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Had Dubble Trubble since 2003, and have been in skinny water many times, and also out 20 miles many times.

She has hauled in her share of trout and grouper!

I think I paid 12,500 for her back then (very slightly used)
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Besides the normal bay boats, pathy, shearwater, etc...Gause, Dorado, Avenger (old ones), Sheaffer all are choices.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Harmsway wrote:BBG might argue my point, but my experience is, since a panga has a flat-bottom hull, that it is white-knuckle time in 2-4' sea. Just because it has a swept-up bow doesn't make it all that resilient off-shore. Just sayin that pangas, while great little boats, are as not as seaworthy as people seem to think.
Argue, Harmsway? Nah... but tell a couple long winded stories relative to the subject. Yep, that's me. :-D

Just my opinion, but I DO think my 22' Marquesa built by Panga Marine has served me well since I got it in 2005, with probably 90% of the trips I've taken her out involving runs offshore 10 to 20 miles (while needing single digit gallons to refill the tank!). Fair number of those runs with 2' seas, few 3's, and while I tend to just stay inshore when over 3', a few unforeseen summer squalls had me anchor ride solid 6's (never would do intentionally, but have to say Marine's Dream handled it WAY better than my seasick guests aboard did). Also have put her super skinny targeting reds schooled up on oyster bars and shallow hard bottom out of Econfina.

So here's the tale I think relevant to exactly WHY I like my Panga's PARTICULAR setup. Bear with me on this one... about 10 years into my manufacturing career I got a chance to be a plant manager in Lubbock, Texas. I got handed a big project that needed some serious engineering work performed and tried bending the engineering manager's arm on the project. NEVER FORGET WHAT HE SAID, and one of the truest things life has taught me over time... he looked me straight in the eye and said, "Picture this project as a pie... you want me to cut that pie into three pieces and give you all three... the pieces you want are "fast work", "high quality", and "low cost"... here's the deal, I can give you any TWO of the pieces of the pie you want, but NOT three... doesn't matter what combination! ANY TWO together you want. But don't push me for three. Really think about which two you want the most, and let me know."

So how's that fit in with my Panga? Here's how... when I ordered it, Rob at Panga Marin asked how I wanted to use it and when I mentioned exploring offshore he pushed two additions fairly hard... trim tabs and jack plate. The trim tabs not only help me level the ride BUT when both sides are trimmed down let me push the bow down letting the front-v cut waves, and the jack plate lets me lower and tilt the engine to make the boat even more solid pushing through the waves. I TRUTHFULLY CAN'T IMAGINE the difference in the boat if I hadn't opted for both! Calm day? I lift the tabs, raise the jack plate and Marine's Dream will ride so high it feels like I'm floating on a magic carpet ride! :-) But back to the three pieces of the pie, paying for the setup took the "low cost" out of the equation for sure!

My biggest critique on the Panga isn't the seaworthiness when running but more so the rocking and rolling they do while ANCHORED in heavy chop. Boat can take it just fine, but again passengers can't always do so and it cuts down on the fishing fun on the choppy days when you have to be much more careful standing / walking around the boat if fighting a fish. Narrow beam design makes for awesome fuel efficiency, but comfort when anchored in rough seas IS a compromise. And with that in mind, will also add there's NO WAY I would trade my 22' Panga for a shorter Panga if still targeting offshore. Buddy and fellow board member Sharkman had the 18' Niente and while an AWESOME inshore boat, he had to pick his offshore days with much more care than I did with the 22' length. If money grew on trees or I had as much money as Bman must in light of the small fleet of ships he owns, be awfully tempted to get the 29' Horizon with twin engines. Range of 500 to 600 miles!!! I could find a lot of cobia between here and Mexico! :o
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I have a glasstream 228te bay. It replaced my old pathfinder. Much better ride. I was over at st. Simons island memorial weekend, crosses the big sounds with 2-4 footers no problem. 2 footers you can ride comfy at 45 mph. The new ones made in dothan, Al are very good boats. I've got a bad back and the ride is very important for me, that's where it shines.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
mj7457

Post by mj7457 »

i like the everglades 243 it performs well in both inshore and offshore waters especially when you add the power pole and minnkota ipilot which replaces the need for an anchor! everglades has now come out with a 273 cc that is supposed to be even better but I am sure that it comes with a much higher price! I guess it all really depends on how much you want to invest in a boat!