Appalachicola River

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Appalachicola River

Post by fishing coach »

Anyone ever navigated from Chattahoochee to Appalachicola? How long did it take, what boat did you use, etc. I have a 17' flats boat. Seems like a cool idea, but just curious how long it might take. Would we need to camp or what?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Appalachicola River

Post by MudDucker »

fishing coach wrote:Anyone ever navigated from Chattahoochee to Appalachicola? How long did it take, what boat did you use, etc. I have a 17' flats boat. Seems like a cool idea, but just curious how long it might take. Would we need to camp or what?
Aren't the locks to get around the dam at Lake Seminole closed now? I put in at Jack's years ago and went through the locks and down the river 20 or so miles, turned around and went back up the locks. Without the locks, you can't do it anymore.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

LOL. Duck, You need to go back to geography class! Chattahoochee is below the dam last I looked! :-D
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There is a park and ramp just below the dam,in Chattahoochie. You can launch there and go all the way to Appalachicola. However, the Corps no longer maintains the river. I haven't been on the river for several years, but have talked to several of the locals. My understanding is several of the channel markers are gone, or have moved. There are a lot of sand bars in the river. The channel markers, when maintained, did a good job of keeping you off of them, along with keeping you off of several shallow shoals, some of which are solid rock. Also, from when the Corps was dredging the river, there is an area on the west side of the river, below Wewahitchka, where the spoil was stored. Over the years that spoil has washed back into the river. It becomes impassable when the river is low. I've never made the entire trip. However, I've covered the entire river at different times. The entire trip is around 110 miles, one way. If you keep moving it can easily be done in a day. If you're going to be a round trip, it can be done in a day, but I would advise against it. There is a hotel in downtown Apalach with a dock facility, You could also stay at Bay City Lodge. I would recommend Bay City. I've stayed there many times. They have a restaurant, store, and fuel. Speaking of fuel, I'm not aware of any fuel available by water, along the way. Take enough fuel to do the entire trip, one way. If you're planning on a 1 way trip, start up river and go down. Regardless of the water level, the river is fairly swift. If you're going to do a round trip, it will take more fuel to go up than it does to go down.

It's a beautiful trip. There are lots of sand bars along the way where you can pull over and take a break. However, there are no convenience stores, gas stations, or much of anything for convenience, along the way.

Hope this helps.
What was I supposed to do today?
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

there was someone talking about this , at church this morning it sounded like it would be fun.
They were talking about putting in at Bainbridge,
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Blue spinner wrote:there was someone talking about this , at church this morning it sounded like it would be fun.
They were talking about putting in at Bainbridge,

Putting in at Bainbridge won't work anymore. The locks are closed!
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:LOL. Duck, You need to go back to geography class! Chattahoochee is below the dam last I looked! :-D
The Chattahoochee River stops inside the reservoir of Lake Seminole. The Flint and the Chattahoochee rivers join to form the Apalachicola River. Everything from the dam south is Apalachicola.

Now there is a town named Chattahoochee that is below the dam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apalachicola_River
generalee
Site Sponsor

Post by generalee »

As was stated by MudDucker the Chattahoochee and Flint rivers meet 3 miles upstream from the Jim Woodruff Lock and Dam to form the Apalachicola River. The mouth of the Apalachicola River is 107 river miles downstream from the Lock and Dam. It has been some 15 years since I have made that trip. I have had the opportunity to make this trip several times. It is truly a worthwhile experience full of history, natural beauty, and wildlife. The trip can be easily completed from Chattahoochee to Apalachicola in a day. I left Mexico Beach early one morning traveled over to the Gulf Co. Canal, east on the ICW to the Apalachicola river, down to Apalachicola for fuel top off, and upstream through the Jim Woodruff lock to Jack Wingate's in about 8 hours as I recall. As was also stated earlier in this thread the Corps of Engineers no longer maintains the navigation channel. Last I heard, they still operated the lock at Jim Woodruff on a very limited schedule for recreation traffic.

The following web site is for the Corps of Engineers Resource Management Office in Chattahoochee. Their telephone number is on the web site. Anyone considering this trip will be well served to contact their office and get the latest scoop on lock operation and river channel conditions. One of the Park Rangers should be able to help with information. (I was the Resource Manager there 1985 - 1989).
http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... -Seminole/

From the web site:
Jim Woodruff Lock Hours

October - February
Mon - Thurs 8am - 6pm

March - September
Fri - Mon 8am - 6pm

* final lock thru is at 5:30pm
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:LOL. Duck, You need to go back to geography class! Chattahoochee is below the dam last I looked! :-D
The Chattahoochee River stops inside the reservoir of Lake Seminole. The Flint and the Chattahoochee rivers join to form the Apalachicola River. Everything from the dam south is Apalachicola.

I was referring to the towns. The original question was about town to town on the river, not river to town.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

I was referring to the towns. The original question was about town to town on the river, not river to town.
I reread the original question. It could go either way, but if it was the river, I be right. If it was the town, den you be de man! :thumbup: :lol:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

I reread the original question. It could go either way, but if it was the river, I be right. If it was the town, den you be de man! :thumbup: :lol:

Alright fishing coach, you have the mic! Who is right?

Keep in mind that that old duck is a old stinky Bulldog fan and I an a true great Seminoles Fan! :wink:
fishing coach
Site Sponsor

Post by fishing coach »

Dubble, you are correct. I was referencing beginning below dam in Chattahoochee town and boating to Appalachicola. GO NOLES!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

Keep in mind that that old duck is a old stinky Bulldog fan and I an a true great Seminoles Fan! :wink:
Another case of hanging chads in Florida! :smt005 :smt005
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

Another case of hanging chads in Florida! :smt005 :smt005

Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner! :-D

And the fact that I am hung has nothing to do with this..... :smt006