Distressed boat off of Shellpoint beach??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

Distressed boat off of Shellpoint beach??

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

My wife and some friends were at Shell point beach yesterday mid-afternoon and were looking out on the water horizon when they saw a series of 3 flares go up in the air. They couldn't see any boat, but they called the Coast Guard to report it. Has anyone heard any stories about this? I'm hoping that they were able to get help.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Distressed boat off of Shellpoint beach??

Post by Salty Gator »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:My wife and some friends were at Shell point beach yesterday mid-afternoon and were looking out on the water horizon when they saw a series of 3 flares go up in the air. They couldn't see any boat, but they called the Coast Guard to report it. Has anyone heard any stories about this? I'm hoping that they were able to get help.
Bringing back any bad memories? :D
Hope everyone is ok, glad you saw the flares and called
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Salty Gator wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:My wife and some friends were at Shell point beach yesterday mid-afternoon and were looking out on the water horizon when they saw a series of 3 flares go up in the air. They couldn't see any boat, but they called the Coast Guard to report it. Has anyone heard any stories about this? I'm hoping that they were able to get help.
Bringing back any bad memories? :D
Hope everyone is ok, glad you saw the flares and called
LOL... believe it or not, yes. In fact my wife even mentioned how it made it her sick to think about because it reminded her of our ordeal. :D
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Thursday I was out SW of St Marks light about 15 miles and saw them as we were keeping an eye on the onshore storm. A C130 was dropping flares and we thought there was an emergency of some kind, so we ran hard toward them. The guys in the plane saw us after a while and hailed us on the radio to let us know we could stand down - it was a Coast Guard training mission, and it looked like they were dropping from Panacea to east of St Marks.

Might as well do a report too: not a single keeper Grouper. We had a live well full of pins and LYs and squid and fished from 35' to 55' on some beautiful #s. The water was very clear and we could see bottom in 40+ feet - great way to find new areas. BUT, worst possible conditions; full moon, east wind, and hardly any current. Even the Grunts were barely biting. Of course we did catch a very nice, extremely rare and endangered ARS in 35'. We were sure it was really the sun and heat playing tricks on us.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Good to know that no one was in trouble. Thanks for the update. Definitely sounds like the offshore bite isn't much better than inshore right now. I think we will stick with scalloping this weekend.