St Marks 8/6 Fishing report: Red fish Revenge

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

St Marks 8/6 Fishing report: Red fish Revenge

Post by Poopong McPlop »

I am back. After a long hiatus because of my business taking off, I will be writing weekly fishing reports again. It was a nice overcast day that started with a massive storm system 30 mile south. The storm system kept most of the blue bird boats off the water. The bird rack only had about 7 booze cruisers parked on the sand bar and the flats only had about 12 Grady White scalloping boats. There were many people fishing upriver near the marinas, one can only assume for "winter trout", but they were only catching gars and hard heads. Low tide was around noon, with a high tide at 5:30pm. We initially ran to the rock garden but the water was too low to hold fish so we backed out 4 miles to begin an inward drift. The water was clear and clean in this area as compared to the flats closer to the st marks river channel. We started our drift in about 8ft, and found fish when we reached 6ft. The small trout were grouped as they always are, and the larger trout were scattered. After drifting for an hour and half, we headed towards the shoreline as the water had risen considerably since then. We fished within 5 feet of the Spartina grass edge for the next couple of hours and boated several reds and some larger trout. We went into the small creek, but didnt find much of anything but pins and mullet. We left around 7pm with game fish feeding along the shoreline as everything exited the creeks. We used live shrimp, and silver dollar sized pins to catch our fish. We went with small pins, because the new gulps were tearing off while landing any fish and the shrimp were getting massacred by the pins and pig fish. Another good day at St Marks!

Last edited by Poopong McPlop on August 10th, 2016, 2:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 8/6 Fishing report: Red fish Revenge

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good report! The dollar-sized pins are my favorite bait under a cork, just about anything will bite them and they hold up much better than a soft shrimp.
Yours in the South
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Nice report...weather reports had me beached....learned my lesson on that.

Am I the only one that can't see the pics?
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

cant see pics either
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Wow, look at all the spots on that redfish!

Just kidding, I can't see the pics either.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LIKED THE REPORT AND THE PICTURES, BOY, DID THAT RED HAVE THE SPOTS, THANKS FOR THE REPORT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

Thanks for the report!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA