joining 100lb BRAID to 50yards of 250lb Shock Leader

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

youngbearman

Re: joining 100lb BRAID to 50yards of 250lb Shock Leader

Post by youngbearman »

Check out Loon UV Knot Sense. Ive been looking for something better than super glue to smooth knots and this stuff gets good reviews, I haven't tried it yet, just ordered my first tube. I will post results.
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

I am new to this sport....good o'L Kentucky Boy trying to land medium sized sharks..or rays. I had 2 large sharks break me off and run my reel clean of line....just would like to error on the side of over doing it...versus not enough and tweak my gear from there. As I get more use to landing them I will defer to more of a challenge. All my gear is brand new...rods,reels,braid,shock leader,steel leaders,hooks :))). Around 26 days till the trip!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Even if you spooled new braid, there is a chance it could be bad from the store. Wearing some gloves, take a piece about 3-4 feet long and wrap each end around your hand a couple times so you have a good grip. Pull in opposite directions a couple times with short, sudden snaps to bring the line taut. If it breaks, you have bad line, or at least a bad portion of the spool.

When you say the braid breaks, are you ending up with just braid on the end? Wondering if the braid might be cutting through the leader material.

Doubling the braid before connecting to the leader will add a shock absorber. The Bimini Twist is the best knot to use for doubling, but a Spider Hitch will also work. Doesn't have to be real long, a couple feet or so. In addition to adding some flex, you're also making a more gradual transition, e.g. 100 braid, doubled braid (200) to 250 leader.

Good luck. Hope you figure out the problem before your trip. And once you master the heavy stuff, you'll likely want to gear down. You can whip big fish on lighter line if you let your gear (drag/rod power) work for you. Lighter tackle is also easier on you during the fight vs. manhandling the heavy, stiff stuff.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DOC23

Post by DOC23 »

My braid is breaking...which to me is good cause it means my knot didnt fail nor did the leader. My braid is the lesser of all them...the braid broke bout 8" from the knot. It seems Ive got a knot that will pass smoothly thru the roller guides :)))