Weather forecast ?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Weather forecast ?

Post by silverking »

Cantore was in Apalachicola yesterday afternoon. We're now officially in "The Cone." They've even canceled football games so you know it's serious.

Stay safe everyone.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2true

Post by 2true »

800-Beer4Fish wrote:I was at a briefing this morning in where Gov Scott was in attendance (and spoke briefly). He has declared a state of emergency in preparation for Tropical Depression 9.
And yet he still wants the State workers at work.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

2true wrote:
800-Beer4Fish wrote:I was at a briefing this morning in where Gov Scott was in attendance (and spoke briefly). He has declared a state of emergency in preparation for Tropical Depression 9.
And yet he still wants the State workers at work.
Everyone is going to work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I'm at the office and I'm in Wakulla County (barely) - but working Thursday is NO issue. Rolling in Thursday afternoon it will be like most any other summer thunderstorm we get in the coastal big bend area... Friday makes more sense to cancel. Thursday? not so much.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Was at Shell Point yesterday and it looked like mini season in the keys except the boats were headed north. Moved my stuff to high ground too. Good luck to everyone.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Been through this quite a bit.

If you have uninsured vehicles plan accordingly and determine wind direction at landfall and place vehicles on opposite side of your house and if the eye comes over you then reverse this.

The enemy in this storm will be how slow its moving, how much rain it dumps and at that point the ground is so saturated you could push over a tree. I experienced this in Biloxi during hurricane George. Cat 2 but still a slow mover. Expect this on a large scale and IMO is the most dangerous part of this storm.

Power is going to go out most likely. I know up here with talquin power if a bird farts we lose it. Fill bathtubs so you can flush your toilet(water goes in the top with a bucket :-D ). Charge your phones when you get home and gather up your flashlights/candles. Once your phone is charged.. TURN IT OFF! Power was out for 2 weeks during hurricane George. It was much shorter during hurricane Charley and Francis but Cell phones were gold.

Check your chainsaws and get 2 stroke because you don't want to pay the guys who seem to show up out of nowhere to clean up your yard.

Fill up every bottle, jug and everything else with water before tonight.

Dust off the shotgun. If its not too bad but if power is out people are going to be driving around checking things out.. Most are curious families but we had problems with the other 10% looking for free stuff. People also tend to show up from surrounding areas to check out the damage.. Again its the 5-10% that are up to no good but there's more of them.. Trust me on this.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I almost forgot a big one.. GET CASH on the way home.

No power no Credit cards
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

FELLAS, I BELIEVE THERE IS A LOT OF HYPE GOING ON ABOUT THIS STORM, FROM MY CALCULATIONS THE STORM WILL PROBABLY HIT SOMEWHERE BETWEEN CEDAR KEY AND PERRY FLA. I JUST CAN NOT SEE ANYWHERE NEAR THE 8-12 INCHES OF RAIN COMING OUT OF THIS SYSTEM. MAYBE MORE LIKE 2-4 INCHES UP IN THE SOUTH GA. AREA FOR FRI. WE MIGHT SEE SOME WIND AROUND 30-40 MPH. THESE WEATHER PEOPLE HAVE NOT LIVED IN THIS AREA FOR 90 PLUS YEARS, SEEMS LIKE THEY ENJOY TRYING TO SCARE SOME OF THE OLD FOLKS OUT OF THIER UNDERWARE WITH THESE WILD FORECAST. I STILL PLAN TO HEAD TO THE LAKE FRI. AND DO SOME SKIING AND FISHING. WE WILL PROBABLY GET MORE RAIN OVER AROUND GAINESVILLE PALATKA AREA THAN ANYWHERE NEAR TALLAHASSEE.
MY .02 CENTS WORTH.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
800-Beer4Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by 800-Beer4Fish »

You can interpret this for yourselves - everyone can make up their own minds.
Florida Emergency Operations has raised the level to Level 1 Activation - equate this to Defcon 1 or 2.
Attachments
9-1-2016+SWO+Morning+Situation+Report.jpg
AM+Tropics+Update+9_1_16.jpg
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Saw a report from earlier today that was commenting on the unusual amounts of precipitable water there is in the atmosphere related to the storm:

"Near record-warm ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico are evaporating near-record amounts of water vapor into the atmosphere for Hermine to feed off of. At 8 am EDT Wednesday, the upper-air balloon sounding at Tampa, Florida measured 2.5” of total precipitable water (TPW)—the amount of water that would result if one condensed all the water vapor in a column above and precipitated it out. This value ranked in the upper 1% of all TPW measurements taken at the site since 1948. According to the National Weather Service, Tampa’s all-time greatest precipitable water sounding was 2.85” on September 6, 2004, when Hurricane Frances was crossing Florida (though SPC lists one higher value around 3.1”, year unknown). TPW values close to that record level were analyzed by satellite over the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday afternoon, so it is possible Tampa may challenge its TPW record in the next day or two (thanks go to Sheldon Kusselson for some of these links)."

Also noted that there is a cold front/trough that is pulling the storm along and it is going to add energy to the storm once it is inland all indicating this may be a significant inland rain event with TS force winds maybe all the way to NC.

Sort of crazy for such a disorganized storm two days ago... if the track and projected winds/rain hold Tally is going to be a not so nice place to be from a power loss and tree falling perspective. The rest of the Big Bend not great either.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150