New member---St. Marks fishing?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

thutchi3

New member---St. Marks fishing?

Post by thutchi3 »

New guy here...past week I've been trying to catch my first redfish out of my yak down around Mexico Beach. I was thinking of trying St. Marks because it's closer to Georgia. I was thinking of going down this afternoon or tomorrow all day. How is the fishing there right now? I want to catch a red. My wife doesn't because she knows I'll be hooked...
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: New member---St. Marks fishing?

Post by ugadawg »

Just float a shrimp around the oyster bars near the mouth of the river when the water is moving. If the reds are there they will bite. If not, just keep moving around and look for mullet.
thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

Thanks ugadawg. Graduated from there in '14. I will more than likely go down in the morning and try to fish most of the day. I'm bound to run into moving water sometime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Several places to launch the yak at the Lighthouse, including right out in front (goat path though the rocks) and at the end of the boat ramp parking southwest lot (near the rock jetty). The long bar (check the charts) that starts just beyond the old pier pilings is usually consistent but the maze of bars in the mouth of the river can all be productive this time of year. Skitter Walks, Aqua Dream spoons and DOA shrimp are my go-to offerings. Live shrimp will work too as already mentioned.

The East River is another easy paddle, with some protected coves and plenty of bars. If you want more exercise, paddle east to Big Cove or Stony Bayou. All are good possibilities for reds and trout, especially with the approaching new moon tides this week.

Good luck and post up the results.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

I ended up going this afternoon out of boredom. It was a trip. I get there and within 5 minutes find mullet running. So I begin to fish thinking maybe some reds will be running these mullet...until a fin shoots by my kayak full throttle. Scared the daylight out of me. So in 2 ft. of water a dolphin starts tail whipping these mullet up in the air. After stunning them, he would swing around and get all he wanted.

After that I went out to the oyster bars when the tide went down a little and I anchored up. I hung something huge, it just started peeling drag until it broke me off. In the end I caught a few trout, a stingray, and....my first red! I was ecstatic. It was 17", even though the picture didn't really reflect that. At sunset I decided to start paddling back and realized my "slow" leak wasn't very slow anymore and I had a kayak almost full of water. So I got back to the bar right by the landing and there was the dolphin again, knocking mullet up out of the water.

It was quite the first experience and I would be going back in the morning but I need to work on that leak first. Thanks for the advice and I look forward to getting more into to reds. It was a blast.

Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

Good post.

Ive seen Dolphin pair up and work the mullet in the same fashion. In just 1-2' of water, nearly right on the beach at the Lighthouse. Its amazing to watch their teamwork.

Salt Life is good.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Congrats on the first red!!

luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Congrats on your first red. Go dawgs. If you are fishing out of a kayak the oyster bars at St. Marks are the easiest place to stick a red. Also we just pull up onto the bars and fish off of them. If you are looking to spend a day fishing it can be nice to stretch your legs. You can set your drag loose and put cut bait or shrimp on the bottom and fish multiple poles. Just stick them in your rod holders on your kayak and crack a beer. Look for the water rushing between bars and soak your bait there. Good luck in the future!!
thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

luckywsp wrote:Congrats on your first red. Go dawgs. If you are fishing out of a kayak the oyster bars at St. Marks are the easiest place to stick a red. Also we just pull up onto the bars and fish off of them. If you are looking to spend a day fishing it can be nice to stretch your legs. You can set your drag loose and put cut bait or shrimp on the bottom and fish multiple poles. Just stick them in your rod holders on your kayak and crack a beer. Look for the water rushing between bars and soak your bait there. Good luck in the future!!
Thanks for the help! I anchored up right behind one of the bars and did exactly that. Only the one red but I'll take it. I'll be doing some more of it as soon as I get some plastic weld on my kayak!

thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

kenfly wrote:Congrats on the first red!!

Thanks!

TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

it is the time of year for Reds! Congrats and welcome to the site!
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

Is the fishing better with an outgoing or incoming tide? Gonna head back down tomorrow for the day and try to catch a few around the oyster bars again

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

thutchi3 wrote:Is the fishing better with an outgoing or incoming tide? Gonna head back down tomorrow for the day and try to catch a few around the oyster bars again

Depends on the bar. I think you just need a good flow and enough water. Look where you think the bait will get swept by.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
thutchi3

Post by thutchi3 »

I went around 10 am today. Caught 9 reds, 2 cats, a few small trout and a big jack. The reds...8 between 15-17" and one was 30". The big one was an absolute blast, along with the jack. It was 17" and pulled like a freight train. The big red got out of the kayak between me measuring and getting my phone for a pic unfortunately. Only fished for 4 hours. I've found my new favorite fish...

TomParis
Site Sponsor

Post by TomParis »

They are good eating fish too = )
1976 Seacraft 20' MA