15 Yamaha 2 stroke

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dixie Dawg

15 Yamaha 2 stroke

Post by Dixie Dawg »

I have a late 90s model 2 stroke Yamaha, I'm having issues with the last couple times out. It cranks and runs fine for the most part but when I hold it wide open for a while like 10 or so minutes it's running hot and losing power. Had someone tell me it could be the thermostat. If so is it like and old car engine can I just take it out and run without it or does it need to be replaced?
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: 15 Yamaha 2 stroke

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU DO NOT REALLY NEED A THERMOSTAT DOWN HERE SO LONG AS YOU RUN THE WATER OUT OF YOUR ENGINE WHEN YOU PULL IT OUT OF THE WATER. THE MOST I HAVE EVER DONE WAS TO PUT A 60 WATT LIGHT BULB ON THE FOOT OF MY KICKER, WRAPPED IN A CLOTHE, THAT WAS ABOUT 20 YRS AGO WHEN THE FORCAST WAS TO BE 12 DEG.. WHEN WE HAD A BOAT DOCK WHERE I COULD DROP THE BOAT DOWN IN THE WATER I NEVER NEEDED ANYTHING DONE AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM FROM FREEZING WEATHER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
MIAcanes44

Re: 15 Yamaha 2 stroke

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Your motor is losing power because it's overheating and the temp alarm is going off. This is a good thing. I would replace the thermostat and impeller if it was me. It's like a car thermostat and can be replace easily for a cheap price. You can also test your thermostat by placing it in boiling water and waiting for it to open.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.