Thursday from the Lighthouse

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Phil. 4:8

Thursday from the Lighthouse

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Just had to go and get some salt air in my lungs. Dad-in-law and I put in at the Lighthouse about 10:30 to catch the last of in-coming tide. Fished along the grass to see if Mr. Red was home; not today. Drifted with the tide and slight breeze into bay just east of lighthouse and caught a nice fat 18" trout; only keeper for the day. Caught lady fish, small sharks, cats, and many short trout. Drifted with the breeze and against the out-going tide from west of rock garden back toward the lighthouse in 3 to 5 feet range. Water temp was 78-79 range most places and the water clarity was OK, not crystal but not too bad. Tried a few live shrimp, but most "fish" caught on plastic under a cork. Back at the ramp about 2:30. Safe day and a lot of fun just to get out. Go Fish everybody.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Thursday from the Lighthouse

Post by DixieReb »

Thanks for posting. The fish seem to bite better on the incoming tide, not as good on outgoing.
Yours in the South
BldHnd86

Post by BldHnd86 »

New to fishing out of St Marks. I have read several posts talking about the rock garden. Is this the area around grey mare? If not, where "generally " is it located? Thanks in advance for any info. I usually am only able to make it down about once a month so my learning curve is proving to be quite lengthy.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Gray Mare is about half way from St. Marks to Aucilla River in about 2-3 ft. of water. That entire area is full of rocks, it's safer to fish there on higher tides and even then to be careful in there. There is a buoy line that marks the edge of the St. Marks NWR all the way across the flats, it's best to stay outside the buoy line and fish. Some really good fishing in that area.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/information/area-charts/
DixieReb wrote:There is a buoy line that marks the edge of the St. Marks NWR all the way across the flats, it's best to stay outside the buoy line and fish. Some really good fishing in that area.
Sigh...
If only a fraction of the 5 million boats that fish St. Marks on any given Saturday would heed that advice, I'd be one happy camper. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BldHnd86

Post by BldHnd86 »

Thanks for the replies. I will keep the buoy line in mind. I have been going out past the sand bar and rack before running east or west. When moving in towards shore to fish I just idle or use trolling motor. Thanks again.