Trying a new lure

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HookemBookem1

Trying a new lure

Post by HookemBookem1 »

Anyone ever had much luck with these? Headed to Keaton next weekend and figured I would give it a try ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Trying a new lure

Post by fishinfool »

Catch 2000 is a staple of tackle boxes throughout the Big Bend area. You will be pleased with the results.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

They work GOOD! Color 808 may be the best
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Work it slow, and hold on! I like the chartreuse color.
Yours in the South
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I must not have the patience. I can't catch them on suspending lures.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:I must not have the patience. I can't catch them on suspending lures.
twitch twitch pause.... twitch pause... twitch twitch pause...

depending on the depth, that pause is going to be between one and three seconds.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

galantnole wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:I must not have the patience. I can't catch them on suspending lures.
twitch twitch pause.... twitch pause... twitch twitch pause...

depending on the depth, that pause is going to be between one and three seconds.
. The pause is hard for me. Used to sinking lures getting hung on the bottom I guess. I'll try it again. Thanks

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

When you do catch one on a suspending bait, he is usually a good one!
Yours in the South
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I keep one on my baitcaster at all times. My favorite lure. I don't know the color, but it looks like a mullet!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Are you fishing the flats with a baitcaster? I thought I was the only person who did that. I hate a dang eggbeater, and those saltwater baitcasting style things are just overkill. I love flats fishing with the baitcaster. The heavy baits fly on them and it's all with the flick of the wrist.

Speaking of new lures though, 1 trend has been ticking me off. These new freshwater lures that almost every company has 1 of now with undersized lips...lame! I bought a couple because they looked good but they don't swim worth a dang. The lip just has to be so big for it to swim right, even if it looks a little goody at first glance. That's why they've been that way for a hundred years maybe.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

BloodyChamp wrote:Are you fishing the flats with a baitcaster? I thought I was the only person who did that. I hate a dang eggbeater, and those saltwater baitcasting style things are just overkill. I love flats fishing with the baitcaster. The heavy baits fly on them and it's all with the flick of the wrist.

Speaking of new lures though, 1 trend has been ticking me off. These new freshwater lures that almost every company has 1 of now with undersized lips...lame! I bought a couple because they looked good but they don't swim worth a dang. The lip just has to be so big for it to swim right, even if it looks a little goody at first glance. That's why they've been that way for a hundred years maybe.
I absolutely love when we are on a school of reds and I'm catching one after another while my fishing buddy picks a bird nest out of his baitcaster. Tickles me to death
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

If you get a birds nest while using a flats lure or a flats jighead with a bait on it then you have a bone (in addition to your birds nest lol) to pick with whoever taught you how to cast lol!
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

Baitcaster on the flats... :smt078
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I like the way a plug works with my baitcaster. I don't fish it with anything but a plug much.

I would not say I get more birds nests with a baitcaster than I do wind knots with a spinning reel. But I have been using one for over 40 years and that is NOT an exaggeration. The first reel I bought with my own money was a Mitchell 300. The next was an Ambassadeur 5000. Saved up from mowing lawns.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My Ambassador on an orange stick has been the end of many fishes foraging career. Suspended baits in cooler waters or when there is little water movement can be deadly!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!